'99 Ranger Changing brake cables - rear wheels

About a year ago, I reported here a problem with the rear drums freezing up when it was warm then cold in a 24 hour period, and asking the whyfore.

It is back, but I know now it is the rear wheel driver side. I suspect that the weather shield on the brake cables has gone to pot, and I am told that I can correct the problem by replacing the brake cables. (I know I could forgo use of the emergency brake, but it is a standard tranny and I got into the habit of using the brakes to the point it is almost impossible to stop now.

How big a job is this, anyway? How deep into the workings of the brake do I need to get? It looks to be not too bad, and I have wheel stands to get the rear wheels off the garage floor, but I'm a little cautious about messing with the internals of the rear drum brakes.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Oh this is a cake job, I could have it done in about 30min. The cables have a sort of knot on the end that hooks into a pawl on a link inside there. It is definitely a DIY type of job. Save yourself some worry and a headache and go get a manual for your truck. I like the Haynes manuals myself. Just remember to do them one wheel at a time, so you can use the other side as a reference in case you forget where something goes (both sides are identical, just reversed), and so you dont mix up parts. Also, if your truck has over

50,000 miles on it, it might be a good time to go ahead and replace the rear shoes and turn the drums. I mean if you are goin to be in there anyway, might as well save some time, spend a few bucks and do it all so that you arent back in there again for a while. Since this is your first time, you might want to set aside an afternoon so you can take it nice and slow to make sure its done right. Dont leave too little clearance between the shoes and drums, and remember to readjust your brakes by backing and applying the brakes hard a few times when you are done.

Pk

Reply to
pkurtz2