ABS light on

I have a 99 F350 Crew Cab Deisel. The ABS light is staying on after I start it up and the speedometer doesn't register at low speeds. I get a flashing of the overdrive light on the shifter. I know the flashing light indicates a fault somewhere. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on where to look for the problem? Is there a way to get the failure code without having to buy a scanner? Thanks snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Dale Ratcliff

Odds are great it is the speed sensor in the differential. Cheap part, easy fix - if you don't shear the bolt taking it off. Could also be in the wiring from the sensor, but I bet it's the sensor.....

Reply to
bomar

Reply to
Dale Ratcliff

Both your manual and you are wrong. It's on the rear axle. Period. Not on the R4100 tranny. On the axle.

8mm bolt. Drop the spare so you can get to it.

Reply to
bomar

Now that I think about it might be a 10mm...take both under there with you. Stop by Ford and p/u the sensor....it's less than $20.00

Reply to
bomar

You likely need a vss (vehicle speed sensor). Ford should have the part for around $20.

Reply to
Chris Hill

The vehicle speed senssor is in/on the transmission. The rear axle ABS sensor is in the differential. Since the symptoms also include a speedometer problem, I'd bet on the vehicle speed sensor, not the ABS sensor. If the VSS goes south, the transmission will show a fault, the ABS will show a fault, and the speedomter won't work properly. If the ABS sensor in the rear axle goes bad, only the ABS is affected.

Ed

bomar wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Yep, the vss is what I replaced when the spedometer on my f350 wouldn't go above 0. It was on the rear differential. Look in the book.

Reply to
Chris Hill

My apologies. YOu are 100% correct. From the 1999 Service manual:

"Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

"The VSS has been deleted for 1999. On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock brake systems (4WABS), the vehicle speed signal is generated by the rear anti-lock brake sensor and sent to the 4WABS module. The

4WABS module sends the vehicle speed signal via circuit 679 (GY/BK) to all systems that require a vehicle speed signal input. Vehicles equipped with rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) generate a vehicle speed signal from the rear axle speed sensor. The generic electronic module (GEM) receives this signal (VSS_GEM) for internal use and then distributes it to the appropriate other users (i.e., the powertrain control module [PCM], speed control module, and speedometer)."

Sorry for talking out of turn.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

So no apology to me???? Wait and see if I ever help you again.......

Reply to
bomar

Sorry, Please accept my apology.

Ed