Add on Cruise for Older F350 [1979]

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to a pulp in the past. If so I'm not finding a good account on google groups.

I want to add a cruise control kit to a 1979

Further, plowing google turns up mostly newer listgings. Not finding info about adding cruise control kit to an 1979 F350.

I hope someone here has done it and can guide me a bit.

Reply to
reader

Rostra part number 250-1176. This used to be Dana. I installed hundreds of these things when I worked for Sears. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow. system is fairly simple in operation.

has info on unit and a downloadable installation manual. Biggest issue we had was "magnet" getting knocked off drive shaft. Very seldom did controllers go bad and even less problems with the servos.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If you look at J. C. Whitney's catalog there are a number of them that are easy to install. Some work off magnets on the drive shaft, others work off the spark coil. (Tach signal.)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks WL, that looks like just the ticket. Knowing someone has installed them with little trouble gives me a lot more confidence in the product.

Reply to
reader

xsxxx

Reply to
SMITH29

It should be easy to do on a 79. I put one on a 76 Blazer. One thing to look for is whether they are just going to run it off of the distributor, which means you can only use it when the truck has been shifted into "high gear", or whether they will get the speed readings from magnets on the drive shaft, or if they are going fancier, by adding an adapter between the transmission and speedo cable adaptor. The ones that run off the distributor/coil are easier to install but don't maintain the speed particularly well as you go up and down hills if you have an automatic. I imagine JC Whitney still carries the kits if you are DIY.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher