Adjusting the Camber on 2005 F-150

I've just put the fourth set of tires on the front of my 2005 F-150. I see camber kits sold online for about $75.00. Can a mechanichally inclined person do this in their own driveway? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
my name

Yeah ya can install them but it still has to be aligned. A good alignment man can knock them out so easy that unless they want an astronomical amount why fight them in the drive way?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You could probably install 'em, but not set the alignment correctly.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Are you certain that your Camber is wrong? What is the wear pattern that causes you to replace tires so often?

Your front alignment has 3 axis to align, caster, camber, and toe in.

Caster is a line that passes through the upper and lower ball joints and the spindle. This line should lean toward the rear at an angle of about 4 degrees -- this is a specification that varies by vehicle.

Camber is the verticle alignment of the tires. The tires (looking from straight on) should be | |, if they are / \ (negative camber) or \ / (positive camber), then you need to have camber adjusted.

Toe in is the horizontal alignment of the tires. If looking straight down from overhead, you get the same figures as above | |, / \ (toe in), and \ / (toe out).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
my name

Sounds like too much toe out. The scalloping is the giveaway. The tires are partially scrubbing sideways as the truck goes straight down the road. Negative camber won't scallop the tire, but wear it off smoothly. Find a good alignment shop and pay them to do it right.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to