air bag light on

I have a 2000 F150. The air bag warning light, on the dash, stays on constantly, even after I crank the engine and am driving down the road. Also, the light on the passenger side air bag kill switch stays on constantly, even though the switch is turned on. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? My warranty has expired, and I don't really want to spend money fixing a safety device that may, or may not be worth it. Besides that, I don't really want a air bag exploding into my face every time I impact with a deer, or utility pole. Any suggestions? Thanks, Don

Reply to
Don Peyote

If the light is on, the bags will not inflate. Also, your restraint warranty is for 5 years/50,000 miles, so if you are under the mileage, you are still covered.

Reply to
Michael O

From the Ford Service Manual:

"When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for six seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the two-digit LFC. The air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the data link connector (DLC), using the scan tool. If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the instrument cluster to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator require repair."

"LFCs are prioritized. If two or more faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed."

DTC Description

24 RCM is Faulted 19 Crash Data Memory Full 21 Bracket Ground Resistance High 29 Incorrect Vehicle Identification Code 15 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground 15 Driver Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition 16 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground 16 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition 32 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High 33 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance High 34 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low 35 Passenger Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low 25 Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Switch Fault 27 Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Inoperative 27 Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Short to Battery

Working on air bags is hazardous. Special tools are required in most cases. THis probably should be left to a professional.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

OK, thanks Michael and Ed, I didn't know the restraint system warranty was for 5 years. I set up an appointment for a test next week, by professionals. Thanks again Don

Reply to
Don Peyote