BeltMinder Disable: Not Happening?

2005 F-150.

I've gone through the procedure on page 123 of the owner's manual (as posted here:

Seems to me like I'm getting the confirmation signal OK.

After the procedure, my expectation is that I should be able to insert the ignition key (with doors closed, but seat belt not buckled) and not hear any chimes.

But I do... nothing seems to have changed.... and I've gone through the procedure a half-dozen times (every other procedure should disable.... others re-enable....). But I never see the "Enabled" confirmation, only the "Disabled" confirmation.

Am I misunderstanding what the results should be?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

What you should not hear is a chime for the belt minder after a couple of minutes of the vehicle running and in gear, not when you first start up.

Reply to
marlin.singer

Per snipped-for-privacy@verizon.SPAMDAM.net:

I guess that cuts to the chase.... I just want to shut this thing up... period.

Sounds like I'm looking for a way to disable the "Chime" device.

Unencumbered by any knowledge, I would fear that electrical intervention might compromise other safety system components.

I think I'll just try to find the device and stuff a little bit of something soft and gooey around it.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I've never tried to disable my Belt Minder, so I don't know for sure what should happen, but it seems like off should be off. You might try turning it on, observe it's behavior, does it keep chiming like mine does every 30 seconds or so for about 10 minutes. Then turn it off and see what it does.

As far as I know, the beeper is built into the instrument cluster and it is responsible for all the warning chimes. Lights left on, key left in ignition, check gauges (if it does that), air bag warning, etc.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

A glance around the web suggests the option to turn it off is a practical joke, -----

- gpsman