better MPG with canopy?

I have a 96 F350 4X4 crewcab with a little 5.8L motor. It's working pretty hard pushing this monster around, and I recall something awhile back that trucks get better gas mileage with canopies because it streamlines the vehicle. Does anyone remember this subject or have any light to shine on it further? My wife doesn't like our lightweight aluminum canopy because it's black and the truck is blue, in addition to the reduced visibility, but if I can get appreciably better gas mileage perhaps I can talk her into it.

Reply to
carl mciver

Generally NO, your mileage may vary...

Reply to
351CJ

I thought that all you need to do to increase your milage was to drop or remove the tailgate?!?!

<g>
Reply to
No

According to the dyno testing that we do, lowering/removing the tailgate creates a turbulance that actually raises fuel consumption. Installing a tonneau cover yields about 1% in economy, and an air dam placed below the front bumper also yields about 1%.

Reply to
duroc

Uh huh, that'll do it. Start another war.

streamlines

Reply to
Tyrone

Uh Oh, looks like I got reeled in to a previous thread that I hadn't noticed.

Reply to
duroc