BFGoodrich All Terrain KO

Looking into replacing the tires on my 2001 F350 and want to try the BFG's out and looking for advice on a couple of things. One, how do you like the tires and how are they holding up and the other guestion is about size. Presently I have 265/75/R16 on it and want to go up to either the 285 or even the 295, any advice? I have a Lance 1010 Camper that goes on it and I do a lot of trips in it, driving across country every year from Oregon to North Carolina and back.... Thanks for the advice Chris

Reply to
epicday

I have 265/75/R16 BFG A/T KO's on my F150 4x4 and I am very happy with the way the have performed in tons of rain and snow and gravel roads. I only put them on last September so I can't make a very good judgement on the way they wear but they still seem to be holding up pretty well. You probably have the rims to go quite a bit bigger with your F350 and I would, given the considerable difference in weight between your truck and mine.

I went from 255/70/16 to 265/75/16 and the increase in diameter was about 4%. I have not noticed any increase in milage from the larger tires, probably because of the more aggressive tread.

I think you will be very happy with the A/T T/A KO's

Stephen

epicday wrote:

Reply to
Stephen

Why change size? You'd have to have the speedo recalibrated, and that isn't as simple as it sounds. Besides that it's going to be harder on your power steering and steering components. The bfg's are pretty good. We drive a fair amount on gravel roads and still get 40,000 or more out of them.

Reply to
Chris Hill

A few reasons for the bigger tire, one is that with the 265 in the wheel well of the F350, well it looks like at times that i have doughnuts in there and the other is that with a bigger tire I will get better float at the coast in the sand or in the mud and snow around here. They are coming out with an E rated tire in the 285/KO in the fall and I am thinking about waiting for that one to come out but kinda need the tires now.

Reply to
epicday

I don't have the BFGs, but I went up to a 285 last time around and I don't think it was worth it. Increased floatation? Well, on paper that is true but I've yet to notice a difference. Doughnuts in the wheelwells? Still looks that way. Going with a 315, maybe even the

305, would improve that situation, but both tires need further vehicle modifications to be done right. On the negative side, I noticed a big difference in performance (degraded) and a noticable drop in mileage (after figuring in the correction) and as mentioned, the speedometer is now slightly off. If I had it to do over again, I'd either stick with the 265s or jump to the 315s. If I'm going degrade performance and mileage, I want to make it worthwhile!

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (w/4.3 gears)
Reply to
Matt Mead

I upsized to 295's and have no problems with fitment, I bought a Truspeed speedo recalibrator on eBay to correct the speedo. Not a terribly hard install, would have been easier if it wasn't thirty degrees out. With the speedo recalibrated, there was no noticeble difference to mileage. Also worth noting that the BFG AT in 295-75R16, if memory serves, actually has the same payload rating as the Steeltex (3415# at max pressure), even though it is still a load range D.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I did know that about the payload, the 295 is higher than the 285. That is great to hear about the mileage as well, that is something that I have been thinking about for sure with the price of diesel at were it is right now.

Reply to
epicday