Blown auto hub on '95 f-150

Hi, I've got a '95 f150 4X4 5.0l with dash mounted activation button (I'm sure ford has some fancy name for it - I don't know what it is) and auto hubs. Drivers side hub has gone bad and needs replacing. It's about $300 just for the part. This is the first and I'd guess the last truck I've owned with auto hubs. What is involved in replacing the auto hubs with Warn Manual Hubs. Anyone performed this modification? How difficult was it? How much did you pay for parts and where did you get them. TIA, Rob

Reply to
Rob

The switchover to manual is well worth it, but not easy. Get a set of standard hubs, either Warn or Superwinch. I've had better luck with Superwinch than Warn in the economy versions, but the Warn premium is a better option. Get the nut adapter kit. Expect to pay around $49 to $59 for the hub kit (standard version), and another $35 to $45 for the nut adapter kit.

You'll need the proper tools to take out the auto hub and hardware ( auto hubs have a c-clip and woodruff key keeper), then the proper tool (socket) to install the new nut adapter kit, you can borrow or buy all at AutoZone, or Advance Auto if you have those, or similar parts stores.

It's very important to get bearing preload set properly on the install of the new hubs, and even more important to seat the lock ring flush on the bearing preload nut guidepin. I don't know what your ability is, so I can't say if it is right up your alley. I've done many, many of these. You may be able to do it yourself, but I'd have a competent mechanic to do it if you are unsure.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to