Brake lines

I hope someone can help me. I have an Econoline E150; I need to splice in a tee into the brake lines. The only place the rear brakelines are accessible is under the driver's seat.

I have a standard 3/16 tee. The problem is that the !"#$% Ford fitting on the rear brakeline is not threaded for the first 1/8" or so, so it won't engage the threads in the tee.

I have been told to get a 3/16 to 3/16 deep inverted flare adapter; I can't find anything like that - every place I've been looks at me like I was crazy. I can't find a deep tee.

Surely I'm not the only guy who's ever tried to splice a tee into a Ford brakeline. Does anyone have a source for Ford-compatible brake fittings? Or someplace that would specialize in hard-to-find brass brake fittings?

Thanks,

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:35:33 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar rearranged some electrons to form:

Just curious, why are you doing that? If you're not sure about what you're doing, you should not be doing this yourself...your brakes may fail.

I'm certain that Ford uses SAE flared brake line fittings, just like every other domestic manufacturer. You're not going to find those at Home Depot.

You are entrusting your life to these fittings, so buy the most expensive ones you can find.

Check with a reputable auto parts place such as NAPA.

Reply to
David M

Installing a proportioning valve for controlling the brakes on a towed vehicle.

I haven't been to Home Depot; I've been to every auto parts place here. Alas, NAPA is 70 miles away from where I live.

The fitting is standard SAE, expect that Ford uses a 'deep' fitting on this particular union. As I said in my post, the male end is not threaded for the first 1/8" or so so it won't engage the tee I have. The tee is the standard brass inverted flare tee that everyone sells for this purpose.

Preaching to the choir here, except I try to go for the best, not necessarily most expensive. :-)

I have been. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. Short of cutting off the offending fitting it's hard to show them what I'm talking about.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

Uhhh... I hesitate to suggest the obvious but have you tried a Ford dealer? (sorry) Also, I would just do a Google search and see what you come up with. Also, there is an excellent Ford truck site at

Just navigate to the discussion groups and select "1968 - Present Full Size Vans" or "Brakes, Steering, Suspension..." forums and you will almost certainly get an answer. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor