Broken manifold bolts 460"

So, I think I'm ready to pull my trailer, and I hear an exhaust leak........

Look underneath and one bolt is broken, passenger's side, rear bolt. I ask around, and I'm told this is a common problem with injected 460's...Correct?

I'm also told that these bots are stainless, high tensile, and hard to drill. Is it necessary to pull the manifold, surface it, and all that? Any ideaas are welcome.

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

I had an exhaust leak on my 460, put it off. It got worse, then the other side started leaking and I was getting gassed pretty bad. I think 12 of 18 bolts had failed. The shop took many, many hours to drill them all out, gave me a discount on the work, and it still cost something like $1800. I think I would have been a lot better off just having them replace the head.

Reply to
Ken Finney

They're not stainless, but they are a pain to drill. Sometimes they come right out, sometimes not. I usually try the welding a nut to what's left first. If they are flush or sticking out a bit, this method usually works good.

Use massive amounts of antisieze when you go back together will ALL new bolts. Use Grade 5 hardware store bolts and not the interference fit pieces of shit that ford sells.

steve barker

Reply to
Steve Barker