Bronco ll power steering box (1984)

A few years ago I replaced the steering box with NAPA rebuilt unit. It fixed the leak but the new box has too much play for comfortable driving. I was in the middle of a move and couldn't get another installed in the warranty period. Are there any adjustments available to eliminate the play? Tightening the sector shaft adjusting screw doesn't seem to help at all.

Reply to
lawsbw

I don't recall if yours has it or not but, have you checked the flex joint in the column shaft. Many times, that is the source of the play instead of the gearbox. If you have a tilt wheel, it also has a flex joint of some sort. Be sure the column shaft is turning the same as the steering wheel. If the steering wheel turns before the gearbox, that is your problem.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

When you adjusted the sector shaft, did you have the front tires off the ground?

If not, do again with the tires off the ground. Don't get it too tight, you should have 1/2" to 3/4" play at the steering wheel. If adjustment doesn't help, something else is loose or worn and you can check the steering linkage and flex joint while it's off the ground.

CC

Reply to
CarCrazy666