Bucking 351 FI

My 1990 1/2 ton Club Wagon has a 351 FI, E4OD and a 3.55LS.

More than half the time, but not all the time, at low RPM and light throttle, I have a bad "miss." Honestly, it's more like bucking than missing. It happens especially badly at around 45 with the tranny in 4th, TC locked and just enough throttle to keep it rolling at the same speed. Incidentally, it's not as bad when it's cold.

My estimation was that this was ignition related since that's the times where I'm likely to have the most strain on the firing of the plugs. However, I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and seen no real change.

I pulled the codes and the only hard fault I have is a 44, which deals with the air pump system. I haven't found out what the cause of that is, but I wouldn't think that it would cause this. The van just passed the Northern Virginia emissions inspection with flying colors, so I'm surprised that there's a fault in a part of the emissions system.

I also had an old EGR related code that I only got from the KOEO test. I'm more likely to think an EGR problem would cause the bucking I get.

Lastly, I tried to do a cylinder balance test, but couldn't get the thing to go into the test after the KOER portion. I tried tapping the throttle, as my scanner book suggested. I even tried a brief WOT.

Any help?

Reply to
CJB

I'm shocked that I haven't received a single response.

What information can I add that will help?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Possibly a fuel filter problem? Had the same symptoms with a '64 Fury and that's what it turned out to be. Only 26 years older than your Club Wagon, LOL. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I thought about that too, so I replaced the inline filter. I also doubt it's a screen in one of the tanks because the engine does the same thing with either tank.

Is there another filter I don't know about?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Not that I'm aware of, sorry. Good luck with it. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:09:29 +0000, CJB rearranged some electrons to form:

Is fuel rail pressure OK?

Reply to
David M