buying a 1992 ford diesel

Hi I'm new to the group and have been looking at buying a Ford diesel

4x4.I was wondering if there are any things I should be aware of with this truck. Any information you might be able to pass along, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

The particular truck i'm looking at is as follows

1992 Ford F350 Crew Cab 292,000kms (approx. 200,000 miles), 7.3 diesel. 5 speed manual transmission.

Tia Bill

Reply to
billybob

What can I tell you, other than the truck is a slug and a pig. A slug as it can hardly get out of it's own way. A pig as you will be lucky to get 12 to 13 mpg out of it. Don't buy a 7.3 unless it is turboed. The

1994 model year offered a naturally aspirated engine in the early model year, an indirect injected turbo mid model year, and the direct injected PowerStroke near the end of the model year. The Powerstroke has almost all the power you could ever ask for, hauls butt, gets the best fuel economy of the three configurations but is a bit noisy. The IDI Turboed vehicle is not as quick, gets a bit less mileage, but is quieter. We already discussed the naturally aspirated version. Good luck whichever way you go. Just make sure to check the nitrite level and the PH of the antifreeze. If it has not been properly maintained, don't buy the vehicle. You can purchase a test kit at NAPA, #4107 coolant test kit.
Reply to
Sam_I_Am

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I'm curious as to what the nitrite and ph levels should be.

Reply to
billybob

whichever

The test kit will explain how to do the test and what results are considered acceptable. It is nothing more than a test strip that you insert into a sample of your coolant for 2 seconds, remove and shake off the excess liquid. It has 3 different test patches on the strip. After

10 seconds you match it for pH an freeze point. Normal pH should be between 9.0 and 9.5. After one minute, you compare for nitrite level. These are all color comparison tests.
Reply to
Sam_I_Am