Buying a Ranger for gas mileage, function, basics, etc.

Gas mileage, CDN gallons, miles: 2.3 litre Ford Ranger, 2003...

Summer: 35 mpg (CDN) fabulous. Verified several times over this summer.

The 3.0 litre, 5 speed, even if you baby it and never drive over 55 mph, will never give you good mileage.

The vehicle is over-powered for the daily uses most drivers have (90% of the time).

Get a 2.3 litre and don't overtax it.

You will have to order it from the factory as most dealers don't stock the small motors - they don't make any money on this type of vehicle.

Then again, if you're pulling a trailer, get a 4.0 with all the bells, extendeds this-and-that's, power lights, deer whistles.

I have a 2.3 litre, 2003 small box, no frills, don't need them. Bought it on order, new, for the mileage and simplicity.

My opinion only.

Caveat emptor.

Reply to
Windsurfer

Hi,

What does 35 mpg CDN equal in English sytem?

I personally drove 2 Rangers with 2.3 liter engines for about 14 years. First got 24-25 mpg, second got 22-23 with AC, I got tired of the 4 cylinder wanting to have the AC turned off to go up hills. Also made the truck idle so low the idle was rough and not a thing you can do about it. A friends identical pickup was exactly the same. My new 2003 Ranger has a 3.0 and an automatic, it has so much more power I don't even care what the mileage is.

___________________________________________________ People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Reply to
Scott

I question that. When I bought my Ranger ('03, 2.3L 5 spd, no options) I had my choice of a black one, a red one, and a white one. Exact same truck except for the color.

So far, I've gotten 31 MPG (US) on the interstate, mostly @75-80mph, and get around 25 in town. Not bad for a truck.

Plasyd

-- No information is any better than the assumptions of those who gather it. (paraphrased) Theodore Roszak v1.2a r TW 0/0/r tG 0- 0 DSotM 2 0 44.7%

Reply to
Plasyd

I got 20 to 23mpg (even with the A/C on) in my '99 ranger (extended cab, 4x2, auto trans, 3.0L V6)

*values are for the US value of a gallon.

One thing about trucks is that if you accelerate like a grandma, your fuel economy will be worse than if you give it some juice.

(Suzuki Z400 page) If you're going to ridicule my post, please do it publicly and stop privately e-mailing me.

Reply to
C-squared