C6 Transmission Shudder

Hi Y'all, ...

I just bought a nice '76 F-250 w/a 460 & a C6 automatic transmission. When I drove the truck for the demo drive, it ran out great. A few days later, after a long drive home (1,200 mi) it began to shudder on application of almost any power in 1st & 2nd gears (higher speeds, OK). What's causing this? Can this be fixed, or do I need a new tranny? Any help appreciated.

TIA Michael Shealy

Reply to
Michael Shealy

Usually a shudder like you mention comes from the torque converter. A tranny shop can swap it out but it won't be cheap because they have to pull the tranny to get to the converter. I'd guess in the range of $500 or so. If the tranny has many miles on it you'll be dollars ahead if you have them rebuild the tranny while they have it out.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

a shudder from the converter is a problem in lock-up converters, which are not used in the C6

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

You may have a problem with the splines of the driveshaft yoke or the slip joint between the two halves. It may be corrected by cleaning and lubing the splines with a good EP lube. A bad U Joint can also do this. A bad U joint may not be paritcularly loose but is galled or seized internall such that it does not move freely under load. Make sure the drive line U joints and splines are all in good condition before the trans is condemned. BTW, a C6 torque converter is not a lockup type and will not shudder among the problems it may exhibit.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks, I'll give a little grease to those and see what happens. It'd be great if that was the cause. The u-joints are good, tho, just had the shafts out and replaced two.

Thanks to all you FordFolk for answering. I'll get back with how it turns out.

-mikey

Reply to
Michael Shealy

Mike, I'd say you're more than likely experiencing old age syndrome and hardening of the seals on that C-6. Is there any delayed engagement when cold? You might try a half pint of brake fluid in it to soften the seals a bit. But it's only temporary. Once they start delaying and shuddering, you're usually headed for an overhaul.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You did right to phase them. The only problem is you can be half a turn off of where it was when it was balanced. If it seems smooth at highway speeds, you probably got it the way it's supposed to be.

Glad you got it fixed.!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Please explain "to phase" thanks !!