Can a F150 carry a Slid in camper?

I have a 2004 F150 Extended cab 8 Ft box. I am trying to figure out if I can carry a slide in camper but so far I managed to confuse my self thoroughly. Any one help me out here?

Reply to
James Biggs

Most likely not...

Reply to
Advocate

Go to a camper place and ask them? Does your 150 have a camper package installed?

Reply to
I. Care

There is no camper package for the f150. I believe Ford only rates the 8250lb GVW F150 for a slide-in. You would be much better off with a trailer or getting an F250/350 for a slide-in. I would never ask a camper dealer what I could do with the vehicle. The would probably say a Ranger could handle a 3k slide-in. They just want to make the sale. Also never ask a car salesman what th vehicle can and can't handle. Just have to do some reading.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

That has been the opposite of my experience with camper dealers. The ones I've dealt with have been very conservative in their rating of my vehicles. I think they even have towing guides that help determine the towing capacity of the tow vehicle. They'd be in DEEP legal trouble if they sold a travel trailer they knew your vehicle wouldn't handle, and then you had an accident.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

OK thanks all that pretty much answers my querie.... be safe and be spamless....

Reply to
James Biggs

Ok now that its the day time I went out and looked at the sticker on the truck, Says a front GAVW of 3300 and Rear GAVW of 3800. kinda looks like i could carie a 1790 lb camper Oh bother i am realy confused now... LOL... apriciate furter comment...

Reply to
James Biggs

I agree. It simply does not have the springs. chassis and axle strength to do. Slide in not only have weight but they also add a high CG as well which further taxes the issue. (while you might be able to carry 1500 or brick in bed okay, you will not a 1500 lbs slide it because when you travel the high CG 's leverage withstrain truck a lot more suspension wise. If you have your heart set on a slide in, loss current truck and get you a 3/4 ton or CC F150 which has a higher GVW package because it has better axles, brakes, tires and springs.

SnoMan

There are some smaller, pop-top campers that might work. Forget the regular hardsided overhead though. Heck, most F-250s aren't rated to haul anything more than a small hard sided camper when you actually sit down to do the math. (And I have with my truck.)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Better off towing a lightweight travel trailer.

Reply to
miles