Canadian Ford Trucks

Almost every used Powerstroke in my area (Seattle) seem to come from Canadian auction houses. Asked a local dealer about it and he said that they have arrangements with a leasing company in Canada to pay off the loans and bring these trucks down to the US. He said that because of the exchange rate they both make out.

I travel to Canada on business quite a bit and all the vehicles I rent have kilometers instead of MPH. I asked the dealer where they do swap out the dash when they bring the new used trucks across. He said at the boarder. My next question (which kind of pissed him off) was how do I know if the miles have not been rolled back when they swap out the dash? He said, now get this, the engine has a module, the tranny has a module, and the odometer has a module that track the mileage and if one of the three don't match up the other two will correct the one in error. Has anyone ever heard of such horse crap?

I really would like to know how the odometer is read on these trucks. Is it from the ECU or is the module built into the dash? I am currently looking at a 02 with 30k (miles and at a different dealership) on it and I kind of question it... but the truck is fairly clean.

Tim

Reply to
STP

"STP" had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Funny when you suggested he could be a thief that he took offence. You should have shown him the evidence you had against him. Trucks has been going across the border because of the limitation on Diesels sold in the States. I know when switching computers on different age groups the milage conflict has caused minor problems. Not sure if it relates but it was when a friend put a newer oil burner in an older truck that had a gas pot. He pissed around with a few different ways to wire the comp to make it "learn". I'll ask him if it changed the odometer reading.

Reply to
Barney

One guy emailed me and said that it would be too expensive to swap out the cluster, but the dealer clearly stated this is the practice. Makes me a touch uneasy. I guess that if I still get the 100k warranty on the motor, it works to my advantage.

Has any one had any experience with Dave Kellogg in Kellogg, Idaho?

Tim

Reply to
STP

Reply to
Turfinator

Maybe so you odometer is clicking off Miles not Kilometers?

Reply to
351CJ