cargo weight

Hi,

I have a F150 V6 std tranny shortbed F150. Is the most basic of models you can get. I have to pick up a couple of mill/drills that each weigh 700 pounds in the crate. The truck is a half ton. Would I be pushing it by having 2 of these in the bed at one time? I have 5 total to pick up. They are 6 miles away. I am thinking of just renting a UHaul and doing it in one trip but would rather not. I can easily fit 2 or even 3 in the bed, but am worried about weight.

While I'm on it, I see F350 and other 1 tons loaded with what looks like way more then 2000 pounds of stuff. I always assumed that 1 ton meant it was limited to 1 ton.

Thanks

Reply to
V8TR4

"V8TR4" more then 2000 pounds of stuff. I always assumed that 1 ton meant it was

I've had more weight than that in my Ranger. I wouldn't worry about it in an F150. But if you're nervous read the owners manual. Lane

Reply to
lane

"V8TR4" more then 2000 pounds of stuff. I always assumed that 1 ton meant it was

I hauled 2000 pounds (one ton) of bagged sakrete 40 miles in my Chevy half ton this summer. No problem at all. Just make sure your tires are aired up.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

A whole six miles away??? Why take chances?? Why not make two trips?

"V8TR4" more then 2000 pounds of stuff. I always assumed that 1 ton meant it was

Reply to
Adrian Holt

2100 lbs in the bed of an F150 shouldn't be a problem for 6 miles. 1/2 ton has nothing to do with the cargo capacity. Check you owners manaul. I think the 2004 F150 is designed to carry 2000lbs and it is considered a "1/2 ton" truck.
Reply to
Rob Munach

I'd be willing to bet that the trucks are built to handle a lot more than they are rated for. That's to compensate for people ignoring the rating and overloading it anyways, and for the manuf. to cover their back in case of lawsuits or complaints.

I agree. (or five trips, since he has five of these things to carry)

Really?

I ought to. I tried once, but I need to spend more time reading it and understanding all the parameters that affect capacity :-). I do know, however, that my (1993) F-150 is about the lightest duty F-150 available (for that year). I also know that the truck itself weighs about 1 3/4 tons unloaded, so the term "1/2 ton" can't be referring to the truck's weight.

What does "1/2 ton" mean, then? (this is a real question; I'd like to know)

Or are you saying the truck is -designed- to hold a ton but only

-rated- for 1/2 ton?

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

Yes. The terms 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton are simply truck "classes"

-they do not relate directly to the cargo capacity. (they may have when they were originally conceived) An F350 is a 1 ton truck - do you think it can only carry 2000lbs in the bed? The 2004 F150 brochure has a 4x2 long bed w/ a 3000lb payload capacity!

Reply to
Rob Munach

What you have not pointed out to him is, None of the truck manufacturers have used the tern "1/2 ton" "3/4 ton" "1 ton" in a decade or more.

Some 150/1500 trucks are rated to carry more weight and tow more weight than some 250/2500 trucks. The same applies to 250/2500 compared to

350/3500.

Tom J who knows there is no such thing as a 1/2 ton truck anymore

Reply to
Tom J

Why not? Actually, I have no idea what various trucks are rated for, I just assumed an F350 can carry more than my F150 :-).

Ok. BTW, I didn't buy my truck for it's load rating. I bought it because it looks nice and was affordable :-). It's certainly come in handy moving people in and out on campus. I enjoy driving the truck too -- I've always liked how trucks look (compared to cars).

Ah, ok. They are historical terms which no longer apply and thus are misleading now.

I didn't know that.

Thanks.

-D

Reply to