Catalytic cover

I had a rattling under the truck. Turns out to be the outer cover of the converter had separated, and one side was dagling and hitting a cross member. Well, I separated the other side and removed both pieces.

My question, what purpose is this outer cover? I assume it is some kind of heat shield, but is it detrimental that I removed it? I saved it to put it back if need be, but my driveway is all ice and I was too wet and cold to fix it correctly.

So, I guess my question is, should I make the effort to replace it when the weather permits? It's a '96 F150, and it looks original.

Reply to
Dave Lee

If your truck sits idling for long periods of time, then yes, you need it, it'll keep heat off the passenger floorboard, and any tall grass you might encounter.

If not, then don't worry about it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
Dave Lee

See if you can pop rivet it to something.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
JimV

I took mine off about 5 years a go. Meant to put it back on, but I never got around to it.

Reply to
Joe