changing carborator 1979 F100

I recently bought a 1979 F100 pickup. It has a 351 in it and I have learned that the carborator has no float in it and that it will be easier to replace the whole unit, than to crack it open and fix it.

I have never done this before.

Can anyone provide me with info on how I can do this in my own driveway, without costing me a fortune at the garage?

Thanks

Ward Chilliwack, BC Canada

Reply to
Ward

Whadaya mean it has no float in it? Someone is packin yer ass buddy. If it does indeed have a carb problem the swap is pretty easy, if you really need step by step instructions you might be better off to pay someone to do it. Bob

Reply to
Bob

It has a float but the float may be adjusted improperly. Carburetors are not really too complicated but they have A LOT OF LITTLE TINY PARTS that can go flying around when you take them apart. If you replace the carb with a new or rebuilt one, you're going to pay $125 or so for rebuilt and several hundred for new. If you go this way, it's relatively straightforward. Take a photo of the carb (all angles) first and then disconnect everything and pop it out. Take it with you to the auto store and compare it to the rebuilt one they sell you (you have to exchange yours anyhow). Put the rebuilt back on, hook up all the doo-hickeys and you're off and running. Same instructions for a new one except you can keep the old one. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

"jor" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Never take the old one back untill the new one is working ok. Trust Me on this. you never know what you will need or forget to take off. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

You don't suppose that's one of the old variable venturi abominations that Ford visited upon us around then? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thank God no the 79 351M came with a 2 bbl. carb I believe it was a model 2300 could be wrong on the model # Man I haven't heard anyone talk about the Variable venturi for a long time that was one heck of a POS.

Reply to
JSMMV