Changing Fuel Filter on 2001 Ford Ranger

I assume I need to depressurize the fuel line before disconnecting the old fuel filter? How do I do this/where do I find the valve to do this?

TIA

Reply to
1_Patriotic Guy

I just changed the fuel filter on my 2001 f150. I did buy the quick disconnect tool( @$5). I didn't bother to depressurize and it wasn't a big deal. BTW the tool does work, but it only worked quickly on the first side. It took a lot of work on the second side. (Had to hold my tongue just right) Jack

Reply to
Jack Sloan

If you spray the inside of the line connector with CRC o WD40 then push the lines in torwards the filter before installing the tool it will work much better. The other trick is to turn the filter. This will loosen the o-ring to filter seal (the line connectors have o-rings inside).

John

Reply to
PC PODD

Hi,

Thought I'd add to this message since it's related.

I have a 94 F150 with dual tanks. I located the fuel filter and was examining the connections on either side.

In a follow up someone mentioned a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines? Where does one buy this and is it really necessary? What's it called?

Also, if one did want to bleed the pressure off of the fuel system, what would be the procedure? I'm just concerned that I'll get a good dose of gas spray if I don't bleed the system first.

Any insight is appreciated.

Chris in Iowa.

Reply to
Cromwell

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:02:53 -0500, Cromwell rearranged some electrons to form:

You can get it at any auto parts store. It is really necessary. It is a fuel line disconnection tool... a small plastic cylinder that goes over the line and releases the spring inside the connector.

There is a schrader valve somewhere on the fuel rail. However, you won't get much of a spray by just releasing the fuel line connectors. You'll get much more gas on you as it runs out of the filter down your arm and into your mouth.

Reply to
David M

Thanks very much for the info. Yep, nothing like getting a mouthful of unleaded to make my day.

Reply to
Cromwell