Check Cruise Control Recall by VIN!

You better check for a Ford recall by your VIN because the news on the Internet and TV is wrong about what models and years are affected (use the Ford website link provided).

I have an 02' F350 (gas) and the Ford recall website says that I am affected by the recall and need a cruise control switch harness retrofit with a fusible link built into it.

I saw on Youtube.com where someone's house burned down because the cruise control wires on the master cylinder shorted together. One wire is always hot and leaking brake fluid can potentially dissolve the wires insulation allowing them to short together or against frame ground.

My new harness has been ordered by a local Ford dealer and will arrive in about two weeks. It takes only a short while to replace. Ford recommends that you allow a local dealer to deactivate the cruise control until a new fused harness can be installed. If you do it yourself, and then a problem occurs they will blame you so let the dealer document the work.

Chuck

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:18:58 +0000, Chuck rearranged some electrons to say:

This is old news.

Reply to
david

You know.... from what I can tell in reading your weak responses, you really don't add much to anything but criticism of others postings. If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Reply to
Chuck

...it has two parts...earlier Ford was doing a voluntary recall..only putting in a fusible link to prevent the fires, doing nothing in the way of repair. Now it appears the government has stepped in and Ford will have to fix the problem, rather than using just a fuse...

it's gnu news.

john

Reply to
asadi

Connecting the recall part is easy.

Unplug the connector at the end of the master cylinder, plug the recall part in to the master cylinder and plug the wire that was disconnected earlier into the connector on the recall part. Use the provided wire ties to secure the new harness to a safe location.

They installed the recall part on my truck in about 30 seconds, plus the time it took to get the part out of the box. The service writer did it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Actually, it's old news that's new again. Apparently there is a large cross-section of owners that have not had the work performed, and people that care about this sort of thing are worried.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Correct... its simple fix. My only point for reposting this "old news" was that I felt that Ford owners should check to see if this recall issue affected them by using their VIN's and not just relying on what YEARS & MODELS were mentioned by the news articles because they were incomplete. As a case in point, nowhere did I see that a 2002 F350 was affected, yet by VIN I certainly am.

Reply to
Chuck

All F Series trucks from 1993 to 2003 are affected. There is one model of truck over 8500 pounds gross weight that is not affected the same as the rest, but it appears to be some sort of utility van or delivery vehicle that I do not recognize.

The OP gave a link to Ford which in turn has a link to the recall, and your truck is certainly listed among the other F Series trucks under and over

8500 pounds gross weight.

It is old news that is new again, that is certainly true. I can't tell if there is a new recall for the same thing, or if the first recall did not do the trick, and this is new. When my Recall Notice comes, I'll ask. I suspect the latest report is old news in the headlines, I've already had the recall accomplished and do not expect to be notified again ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Here's another link to the recall ...

Jeff Strickland

So will my cruise start working again after I take it to the dealer?

john

Reply to
asadi

If it's not working now, it won't start working without paying for the repair. This "fix" is only a short piece of fused wire that breaks the curcuit if the switch ever shorts out.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J