Cleaning the engine compartment @ the carwash

I know there is a setting at the carwash that states it is for the engine compartment. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6. Will using this degreaser and water damage or prevent anything from running? Is there stuff I should cover up, or would it be a good idea to just not mess with cleaning up the engine. Thanks for the help!

Tony

Reply to
Shakieh31

"Shakieh31" wrote: > I know there is a setting at the carwash that states it is for > the engine compartment. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6. > Will using this degreaser and water damage or prevent anything > from running? Is there stuff I should cover up, or would it be > a good idea to just not mess with cleaning up the engine. > Thanks for the help! > > > > > Tony

It will work fine, just do not power wash the spark plugs and their wiring and any sensors on engine with direct spray.

Reply to
SnoMan

obviously you don't want to soak the distributor and also get water in the intake let engine cool before you blast with water

I prefer to buy a foaming engine cleaner/degreaser at the autoparts store and spray that on while engine hot, let engine cool, then rinse off.. works great

be careful when spraying cool water on a hot exhaust manifold, the sudden temp change may cause hte manifold to crack...thats why I said let engine cool off a bit

be sure that you keep your ducks and geese away from the rinse water.. I have both and any water thy see the birds think its for them to play in.

Shakieh31 wrote:

Reply to
jamoran

I do it all the time with my pressure washer.. I let the engine cool a bit so it's still warm, then hose it down with Castrol Super Clean or Oil Eater, being *VERY* careful not to get it on the painted surfaces. I let it sit and work for about 5 mins then hose it off with the pressure washer and a "fan" spray. Stubborn areas I hit with a brush and more cleaner.

Follow up with some no-wipe tire dressing and it's sparkly clean again.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I dunno how you guys do it. I've washed under the hood of a car twice and had big problems both times. First car required an under warranty replacement of a MAF sensor. Second car wouldn't run until I replaced cap rotor and wires. Too much water or too much pressure maybe? I dunno.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I know, but I guess I get a little overzealous.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:06:41 +0000, CJB rearranged some electrons to form:

Then you should quit complaining. "I've washed under the hood of a car twice and had big problems both times."

Obviously you didn't learn your lesson the first time.

Reply to
David M

What in the world. I was fishing for someone else who'd had another similar experience; I'll grant you that. I doubt I'm the only guy in the world who's had a problem after soaking the engine compartment.

However, why do I need you to excoriate me? Who are you to tell me what to post and what not to post? I just don't understand your response.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:51:48 +0000, CJB rearranged some electrons to form:

When told: "You do not wash the sensors and the distributor..." you said: "I know..."

If you messed up your engine the first time you hosed it down, why in the world would you do it again?

Reply to
David M

Two different cars, 10 years apart, knowledge that other people regularly do the same thing with decent results.

You didn't answer my question.

Thanks,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I have often wondered besides looking nice and clean under the hood. Does it help with the performance or the reliability of the engine? I have never wanted to take the chance of soaking out the electronics, so I have never cleaned any of the engine compartments in my vehicles over the years.

Reply to
Ken

I've been using the car wash to clean my engine compartment from about the time they came into being. During those days it was a good idea to cover the distributor and air cleaner. When WD40 became available, it solved any electrical 'shorting' problems. Having a can or similar product with you at the car wash is a good idea, since it will 'dry' out any electrical problems brought about by water.

BTW: does anyone know what the WD40 stands for? Water Displacement formula #40. The stuff came from early in the space program and eventually came into stores.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

You are correct! Check out this site for more info.

Ken

A bottle brush and some elbow grease will do wonders on the stuck-on gunk.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The water pressure, at most carwash's, is extremely high--too high.

If I wash my truck at the carwash, I hold the nozzle way back, as holding it a few inches from the paint is not a good thing.

From my experience, dirt and grime do not come off by just rinsing with a high pressure water stream. Wiping the dirt and grime off is the only way, and then rinsing.

Reply to
Julian Child

ahh ignorant bickering always makes my day... there most likely is NO distributor in said engine... also, don't spray alternator, it doesn't like it... trust me on that.

Reply to
Dave...