Clicking and squeaking: Clutch or something else? Help!

Thanks for you time. I have a '98 Ranger 3.0 2wd Splash w/130k miles. About a month ago I noticed a squeaking, assumed it was the noisemakers in the brakes telling be time for new pads/shoes. Checked both, were fine. The noise is in sync with the drivetrain so I thought maybe it's the u-bolts (I'm also getting a vibration/mild shudder at 45 and 65 mph, though that might be the balding tires that I'm changing out this week). No play in the driveshaft, greased u-bolts and it still squeaks. The noise and clicking only happens under accelleration and it goes away at speed unless I put some additional load on it and then it has an irregular clicking. I haven't really detected any/much slippage. Is it the clutch or the throw-out bearing (I checked wheel bearings, they were OK)? And anyone know about how much this should run me, and am I better off at my local mechanic or at a tranny place? Any recommendations? Thanks much for the info...

Reply to
teacherjim

sounds like it could be a U-joint, either check for missing bearings, or have them checked, grease won't help if they are bad

Reply to
Pete