Clutch requires earplugs!

1987 F-150, 4x4, manual 4, 302 cid, 164,000 miles

I've been posting so much here in the last month or so that I feel like I should be writing someone a check! But you guys always come up with good answers and great suggestions. (One poster even sent step-by- step instructions on how to repair/restore front hubs.)

Ever have one of those weeks where it seems like you fix one thing and another thing goes bad? Almost like the truck has bad karma and just "needs" to have five things wrong with it at all times. Here's the latest;

Clutch squeal. It's happening only in that first inch of clutch travel. If the clutch is fully depressed (as I'm getting) or it's fully extended, or it's in gear and moving down the road there's no noise. But in that first inch of travel it squeals like a screaming fan belt! No hard shifting. No driveability issues. Just NOISY!

Your turn....

Thanks.

Reply to
russschell

You need a new throw out bearing. Some further damage could occur if it fails completely, so it's probably wise to get it done as soon as you can.

Reply to
Steve Barker

At a 164K just do a complete clutch job. There is no reason not to given the amount of work to drop the transfer case, then the tranny to get to the throw out bearing. Have the flywheel surfaced and make you use a shim between the flywheel and the crankshaft equal in thickness to the amount removed from the flywheel, or you will have clutch travel issues.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'd plan on doing a new slave cylinder as well. Best time to do it and at that many miles, it'll be due before the next 100k roll around.

Reply to
Mike H