Code Scanners

I've been having trouble with my 2002 F350 7.3 for over three months now. The only info I've gotten is "water in the fuel" or "bad injectors". I took it to a shop, but it ran fine for them, so I was charged for putting it on their mechine, but was told there is nothing wrong. Some days it has no power and I feel it may die. I'm broke and don't really want to take it back to a shop. I bought a Code scanner the other day for $139.00 just to find out that the F350 7.3 is not supported by the OBDll systems. Does anyone out there know of a scanner that I can use while my truck is running to help me determine where to start. The injestors are $400.00 a piece from the factory, so I don't want to just change them all and hope that is the problem.

Dennis B California

Reply to
Safety man

I don't have a Ford diesel anymore, but when I did, I got better & less expensive service at the International dealer when it came to engine service.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Has it ever shown a light? When's the last time you changed the fuel filter? The code scanner from autotap works fine with the 7.3.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Sorry for MY stupid question, but isn't the 7.3 a diesel? If so, it is not OBD II compliant. The OBD specifications only apply to gasoline engines.

Have you looked at the separator thingie? There is commonly a water separator in the fuel line, it needs to be emptied or something on occasion. I don't know much about diesels, but my inclination is that there is something that should be User Service that is giving you fits.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Safety man

Autotap on a laptop will do that. Before investing, though, I think I'd find a decent diesel mechanic.

Reply to
Chris Hill