copying keys on a 01 F-150

I bought my 2001 F150 with only one key, and it's got one of those immobilizer chips. To make a dupe, one needs 2 keys, and so I'm fixing up to make a visit at a dealer's. Dealer's time is expensive, and so I got blanks off the internet, and am going to pre-cut them, leaving only reprogramming up to the dealer. Now the questions I have is: will the dealer need to reprogram at least two keys, or only one of the blanks? How much can I expect to pay? Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pawel Slusarz

The dealer will charge between $100 and $200 and will probably not want to use your key. Some local locksmiths have the necessary equipment and will charge between $30 and $100. They may or may not use your key.

Norris

Pawel Slusarz wrote:

Reply to
Norris Smith

Additional thought: When the new key is programed, ask that any other keys be removed from the computer. This ensures that only your keys will work and any other previous keys will no longer work.

Norris

Norris Smith wrote:

Reply to
Norris Smith

any other

your keys

Thanks, Norris. So since I already have one working key, I'll just need to have one programmed, and can program additional ones myself, right?

Paul

Reply to
Pawel Slusarz

Yes 2 to make 1. Try a few independent shops they might be able to help you.

Reply to
Pete

able to help you.

Ok, the project is now officially complete. Total cost:

2 blanks on EBay $25 getting blanks cut - free at office Depot Programming one key at the independent shop - $45 Programming 2nd key myself - free.

Thanks to all who helped out.

Paul

Reply to
Pawel Slusarz