Diesel Overheating

I have a 1995 F-250 XL w/189k on the odometer. Coming home yesterday, the truck was running a little warmer than usual but nothing serious (I thought) I was about 50 miles from home and just drove but kept an eye on the heat. It kept climbing, slowly, throughout the drive home and when I pulled in the drive, was just about on the upper limit line. Shut the truck down and loosened the cap to relieve a little pressure since the upper hose was pretty tight. This is my first diesel truck and although I have driven it for the last 5 years, I haven't had to work on a lot of things on it. Where is the thermostat located (Where the upper hose comes out of the water pump?) and is there anything else I might be aware of or look at? TIA Chas

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You say you have been driving this truck for the past 5 years. Have you maintained the radiator with the proper concentration of anti-cavitation treatment? Do you test the levels regularly? If you haven't or don't, my guess is that you have one or more pinholes between the cylinder and the water jacket. If this is the case, prepare yourself to bend over and grab your ankles. Yes, it's going to hurt.

Reply to
JS

I have kept a check on levels and have tested regularly. Switched to, I believe, a shell lifetime solution a couple of years ago (It's over in the shed and I don't really recall the name) but still kept testing. I would be greatly surprised if it is pinholes(The truck was bought from the US forestry service and the levels checked when I bought it) not ruling anything out at this point but thanks Will probably be the weekend or past before I have a chance to check further.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This may be "apples to oranges", but a lot of concern is made in this group over the anti-cavitation additives.

My '88 Cat 425 has never run coolant additives, and it has 896,000 miles on it. Another truck I used to have had the DT 466 motor, (similar to the 7.3 PS) and has never run any additives, and went over a million miles before a standard rebuild, and nothing out of the ordinary was found.

Both trucks run regular antifreeze, 50/50 mix, and both are changed twice a year.

I do the same with my ton dually 7.3.

Just my .02,

Spdloader

99 F350 7.3PS Dually, CrewCab 4X4

Reply to
Spdloader

I just bought a 2000 Ford XLT with the 7.3 powerstroke in it............since you have had and have one..........anythings to watch for. I am new to diesel and I am coming from having a GMC for nearly 15 years.........it had the 350v8 in it. I lost the differential in the GMC due to pulling a work trailer with my tools in it. My Ford truck has just over 100k on it................ I am much more of a newbee than chasman3. Thanks for any and all responses.

Russ

Reply to
Kathy

Russ & Kathy,

You will likely get a better response if you post your own new request for input with it's own unique title.

Good luck

Reply to
351CJ