Diesel vs Gas

I need to pull a mini excavator. It and the trailer will weigh almost

10,000 lbs. My '91 F250 diesel that I bought about a year ago, has a cracked head - $3,000+ to fix. I may trade it in and get another.

I'm wondering if a larger gas engine might be a better route to go? Any opinions?

Thanks, RO

Reply to
RO

"RO" had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@whidbeytel.com:

I think it depends on who is paying for the fuel. If you are not puting on many miles then the expense of a diesel engine may not warrant it. A little 3/4 ton pulling that kind of weight is tough on it in any case.

Reply to
Barney

If it is all flat land and few miles, then the gasser would be OK. Otherwise, I would suggest the Diesel.

Reply to
Mellowed

Depends on the total use of the truck. You are right at the line, A V-10 gas will perform as well as or better than the diesel up to 10,000 lbs Over 10,000 lbs is where the diesel really begins to shine.

It takes a LOT of miles for the difference in mileage to pay off the difference in initial cost and higher maintenance costs of the diesel.

If it only ever pulls the mini excavator and never sees any "daily driver" 1 passenger road duty, and you plan to put over 200,000 Miles on it, go with the Diesel.

Reply to
351CJ

I'm a die-hard supporter of gassers and believe diesels are overated by most.

That being said, yours is the situations that diesels were made for and excel. I'd go with the diesel.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead