dieseling on acceleration

I have a 97 Ranger and I am getting a dieseling sound when I step on the gas. This happens when I am coasting along in a gear that may be slightly too high for the current speed. I get the sound briefly then it goes away. I switched to mid-grade gas from regular and it helps some but it still happens. Any ideas? TIA Tom

Reply to
I love Edsels

Old or improperly gapped plugs, carbon build-up or improper timing.

Reply to
Tyrone

AFAIK, it just started in the last 6 months.

Reply to
I love Edsels