Door locks going south?

I've been noticing that the locks on my 2001 Ranger XLT are becoming harder and harder to unlock with the key. I have to wiggle and jiggle it to finally get it to release the lock. Anything I could do, short of taking the door apart? thanks.

Reply to
H-DGuzzi

Go to a locksmith and have new keys cut. Take the truck to so they can get it just right. Please don't go to the hardware store or the department store, go to a locksmith.

Reply to
Ripcord

Can't. I was told the key has a chip in it and only Ford can make one...at a cost of $90 each!

Reply to
H-DGuzzi

Can't. I was told the key has a chip in it and only Ford can make one...at a cost of $90 each!

That depends, do you have two working keys with the chips in them? If you do, there is a simple procedure to program your own third chipped key with the cars ignition system and your two keys. Just got a free key cut at my ford dealer and programmed with the car, took about 10 seconds...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I also have a 2001 Ranger and my driver door was getting hard to open. I sprayed it with white grease, WD40 should also work. Get it inside the lock and work it a bit and it should be good for many more operations.

Reply to
SleepyOne

Grease / WD40 is not a good idea as it attracts dust. Get a little graphite and spray it into the lock and work it a bit. It will loosen things up without attracting the dust.

Honest.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

So is this to open the lock manually or to start the engine? I thought that you could get a conventional key from a locksmith and it would still turn the tumblers in the lock for the door? And the only reason you need the chip was if you want to use the key to start the engine. For my '99 Ranger, I keep a spare key for the door in my wallet and then I can leave the vehicle keys locked up when I am away. Don't have to carry the keys all over Hell's half acre that way.

Or has something changed again?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

..

Hmmm, good question. I have one key only. It opens the door and starts the engine. I guess I could get another door key without the chip in it?

Reply to
H-DGuzzi

Unfortunately I have only the one key. I guess I could get a regular key for the door, as I read the info here the chip is only for the ignition. SO I'll have to live with the one ignition key. I heard somewhere that a car stereo shop could program a key for you, at way less than Ford charges. Any idea on that?

Reply to
H-DGuzzi

Not to mention the ignition may not like that stuff ether. The things we have to go through because of "things" that should have been culled at birth weren't.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Watch it....2001 XLT Ranger. Wife opened door with remote, stuck in ignition key, started it to warm it up. Shut door and locked it with remote. You can't open with remote with engine running. Got $2 keys for door only, from Ford. Taped key to wife's forehead. or we each carry one in wallet.

Reply to
rkmr15203

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:12:40 -0800, H-DGuzzi rearranged some electrons to say:

snipped-for-privacy@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

While it is true that the key has a PATS chip in it, any competent locksmith will have the correct blanks and can make a key for you. You can program the new key yourself as long as you have two working keys already. Read your owner's manual.

Reply to
david

I've got a 98 ranger with the same problem, only it's really bad. I can usually get it, but it takes close to a minute more often than not. 2 other people have tried for minutes on end and failed, seems I've developed the knack. I had ford cut me a new key from the vin, and it was worse than the well-used copy that came with the used truck. They told me that it was common on these trucks, and tried to sell me new locks, which I didn't care to pay for. The locksmith thing is a good idea, I'd be curious to hear how the new key works if you take this route.

Reply to
DanKMTB

Probably, but it would only open the doors. If that is OK with you?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

com...

Yeah, that would work. I have no problem with the ignition. Thanks, all!

Reply to
H-DGuzzi