DTC P0301 Misfire #1 Cylinder

Would it be safe to say that a misfire on one cylinder only would have to be the plug coil? I've cleaned the plug wire, injectors, pcv valve, mas sensor, you name it. I can't cure the rough idle, and pinging when accelerating. Thanks in advance. Barry

Reply to
Barry

The misfire is probably a bad plug wire. You said you cleaned it, my guess is that you broke it or it was broken when you started.

If you have a coil-over set up, then you have a bad coil on the #1 plug, in which case you did not clean the plug wires.

Just in case, The #1 cylinder is the one that is furthest forward on the motor. I think this is the right side bank (passenger side of the vehicle), but you can easily see which bank is forward compared to the other. My motor has two distributors, and I assume two coils, but I haven't had the need to look for them. If you had a coil problem, and you have a motor like mine, you do not have a coil-over set up, which gets us back to the broken coil wire.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My ford has eight coils...

john

Reply to
asadi

Which motor do you have?

My 97 has two distributors, and I assume two coils but I've not ever actually looked for them to see. I have a BMW, two of them, that have a coil for each spark plug, but my Ford doesn't have that feature yet.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:50:22 +0000, Jeff Strickland rearranged some electrons to say:

Technically not distributors (in the classic sense), but what you're calling distributors are actually the DIS coil packs.

DIS = Distributorless Ignition System

The 5.4L V8 has Coil-on-plug ignition, I believe.

Reply to
david

I have the 4.6L.

I have not opened the "distributors" because nothing has happened to make me care what is inside. I just bought the truck in August, and have run up about 5000 completely trouble free miles, except for the day the alternator went south, and the day the starter fell off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 02:06:32 +0000, Jeff Strickland rearranged some electrons to say:

They're just a pair of coils inside each pack. The computer fires one coil or the other at the right time.

Reply to
david