Duraspark II Ignition problems

I have a 1990 motorhome with an '89 Ford 460 carburator model engine with a Duraspark II ignition system. While idling in the yard one day, all of a sudden the engine quit. After probing around I discovered that I have no spark at all. I can't get the coil to fire or any sign of life any where. I have confirmed that I have power to the ignition module from the ignition switch, but I don't know what to measure or check coming out. I have checked all connections and plugs for corrosion, but all seem ok. I even installed a new ignition module, but still nothing.

Can anyone offer some advise or direct me to an ignition troubleshooting guide? I have the electrical schematics as part of the service manual, but then they refer me to the Ford light truck ignition troubleshooting manual which I do not have. I have checked with local Ford dealers, but they have tossed all there "old" manuals.

Much appreciated.

Barry

Reply to
B.G.

Pick up coil in distributor. Should be replaced at same time as ignition module.

Reply to
gw

Get a Haynes manual for the mid-80's F-series trucks. They have a great section on troubleshooting the Duraspark series ignition systems.

AmmonMan

Reply to
Ammonman

The problem is solved; a corroded connector at the coil was the culprit. It works fine now.

Thanks; Barry

Reply to
B.G.

Why would that be? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Just personal experience speaking...

Every time I've had a module failure in any make, I've later regretted not changing the pickup coil at the same time. I'd rather do the whole job now than replace 1 worn out ignition part and get stranded.

Reply to
gw