E-350/E-450 brakes?

Looking for someone who may have some accurate information on this topic:

As a salesman for a fire equipment company, I sold an E-450 ambulance chassis to a local Fire Department. The customer has informed me that the local Ford dealer has put front brake pads and rotors on this unit twice since delivery (less than 15,000 miles). Each set lasted approximately

6,000 miles.

Following the second set, the dealer informed the customer that the front brake system is actually for an E-350 chassis and not an E-450. As both models have the some front spring and axle ratings (4600 lbs.) with the Ambulance Prep Package, the major front end components do not appear to be in question. Apparently the braking systems do differ. However, I have not been able to locate any detailed information on the braking systems of each model. What I do find is that each model appears to have the same 13.03" diameter discs. It has been suggested that the disc thickness and calipers are beefier on the E-450.

The dealer has stated that when they order E-450 brake parts, these components do not fit on this particular chassis, but E-350 parts do. Ford is scratching their head as to what took place here. I am not sure how long it will take for Ford to rectify this situation for this customer. I am looking to find concrete information that specifies how the front brakes differ between the (2) models. Anyone with such information please reply. After having to pull the 7.3-liter engine to replace an oil pan gasket, plus other unrelated Ford issues in addition to this brake issue, this customer is not having too good of luck with their new Ford.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Gary

Reply to
Gary Picha

approximately

gasket, plus

Don't let Ford tell you that these things can not happen. I ordered a new F-600 cab and chassis some years back. The governor delivered with the vehicle was the wrong one. When Ford tried to correct the problem, they found that the wrong engine had been installed We also found that it did not have the extra heavy brakes that we had ordered. The then offered to replace the engine and the brakes. We told them we felt they should buy the vehicle back and replace it with what we ordered. We got no argument. The bought it back and ordered us a new vehicle.

Reply to
Tyrone

Gary,

I only have 2005 specs which I believe are heaver than earlier models. But, it does show a difference between the 350 and 450.

Front Rotor 350 450 13.66" 14.53"

Rear Rotor 13.39" 15.35"

[...]
Mellowed