E250 differential vibration

I have a 1995 E250 V8 5.8 cargo van with 220,000 miles. I get a rumbling vibration when I accelerate over 50mph. It has been diagnosed as the differential by two shops. I've been quoted $1000 at one shop and $2000 at the dealer. I have the money to fix it, but it's only worth $1000 andI hope to trade it in in 6-12 months.

The question that no one seems to agree on: how long do I have, and what will happen? Will the noise/vibration get worse? Will I have any sort of warning? Will it seize up or cause additional damage to other components if I let it go? Could it cause an accident if I drive it to the breaking point?

TIA, Imagoomba

Reply to
imagoomba

I think the answer to your last 4 questions is yes. Given the age, I'd think a used good axle might make more sense than spending $1000. There's a risk of a dud, of course, but seems like you could find an axle for a 95 model for not much money.

You might not wreck - it depends greatly on which bearing is going to come apart, and where you're at. If a wheel locks up or falls off in downtown traffic you'll be fine. If it's on an exit ramp, you could crash bigtime.

You know, that reminds me, I saw a guy experience that one day. He was driving an old C10, I guess, and one of his wheel bearings locked up tight just as he was stopping at a red light. No big deal in his case. Just noisy.

Reply to
Joe

I saw this happen on a 1972 Ford F100. Not only did he lose the left axle, but at the same time it locked up his transmission so now he has to get his tranny repaired as well as having to have the rearend fixed. He was only going 25mph down a city street.

Reply to
pkurtz2