E350 questions....

I posted this in one of the other groups, but I feel this might be the better group...

We have a 1994 RV based on a 1994 E350 van.

First, when driving, it seems that there is "play" in the steering. Looking at the tires, wear pattern seems normal (even) What happens is that while driving, there is left/right travel with the steering wheel. This is probably about 4 inches What would the most likely issue(s) be?

Second, the cab has manual doors locks and windows. What all needs to be replaced to add power windows and locks? Is the harness typically there already?

Third, the seats are "captains chairs". THese are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever been in. Are there any power seats that can fit in there instead?

Thanks

Reply to
Bruce

First, the play may be due to any number of things loose under the front end, but if all the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc are tight, then suspect the steering box itself. The slack in the steering gearbox is adujstable.

Second, I've never done a swap like that. Also, I've never seen wiring in place in the doors that didn't have factory power locks. If you want to retrofit power locks, you could do a junkyard swap, or you could go to someplace like lmctruck.com or jcwhitney.com and find aftermarket kits.

Third. Seat comfort is highly subjective. If it were me, I'd look to find a nice pair of Ford van seats that you like better. My 2003 and your 1994 are essentially the same van body-wise. My captains chairs are comfortable and have power adjustments and lumbar support adjustment. You can look at those catalog sites I listed above and find aftermarket seats if you really want to go that route, but my experience is that aftermarket seats don't last as long or wear as well as factory ones. If you look around ebay or a junkyard, I think you'll find newer Ford seats that you'll like better.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

the rag joint has gone bad, otherwise known as a steering coupler.

Whitelightnng

Reply to
Whitelightning

That's also possible, tho I've never xperienced that

CJB

Reply to
CJB