E40D "OFF" light stays on?

I've got a '93 F350 with diesel and E4OD transmission. A week ago, I noticed that the overdrive OFF light was on whenever I shifted into Drive and pushing the overdrive button did not turn it off. The button did turn overdrive off and on but had no effect on the light. I noticed that if I shifted into 2nd gear and then drive, the light worked correctly (I could turn it off and on). Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggests on how to fix it?

Reply to
Tom

Mine still is on but is very dim when it is on and is very bright when I shut it off. But since I don't have anything to pull right now I don't use it also the fact that when I do push it it blows the cluster fuse.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry P

I seen wires at bottom of shifter stalk shorted to ground. On mine i took apart connector and put heat srink on each wire to repair mine. You need to remove apron around colum and look a wires very close .

Reply to
dennis thompson

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. Sorry it took so long to reply. The problem started after the shift selector (component within the steering column) broke and was replaced. Very strange that it should break in the first place. I'll be more careful shifting in the future. I went back to the repair shop and was told that the cause was something very expensive in the transmission. To replace the shifter they had to drop the steering column and a wire might be pinched, scraped etc.

Tom

Reply to
TomN