engine full of sludge

I just bought yet another 1978 F-100 with the 300 six in it. It has

75,000 original 1-owner miles, and has sat unused in a barn for some time. I was putting in a new set of lifters and an oil pump and screen, and noticed this engine is really sludged up bad, way more than I would expect from a 75000 mile engine. Is there any way of getting the engine clean without pulling and dismantling it? It runs absolutely perfect, I just dont like the idea of all that crap breaking loose and clogging up that pretty new screen I just put in.
Reply to
J Grant

It may have been 75,000m with NO oil changes. Tough to say though, maybe try some of those off the shelf engine oil detergent additives, run it, dump oil, repeat. Then see what ya got.

Reply to
Demon

It very well could be 75000 with no oil changes...lol. He only took short trips around town in it, never long enough to get it good and hot. I hope I have it straightened out...I put in a high-volume oil pump, new screen, and a set of lifters, and ran some of that motor flush stuff through it, and the oil pressure has went from near nothing to 50psi, so maybe its cleaning it up some. I sure wish this was highway miles! I though I was getting a hell of a deal, only gave a thou for it, but have since put another grand and a half in it...

Reply to
J Grant

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J Grant) had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3314.bay.webtv.net:

I bought a 1990 GMC 1 ton with only 35,000 Kms. I was told it was bought in an auction and from a mill. When I lifted the flat deck to put in a hoist, coal dust poured from the deck rails. Obviously it was from a coal mine and probably idled most of it's life. The engine runs okay but needs oil about as often as gas. It's great for what I use it for and a liter of oil still cheaper then a rebuild. I paid more because of the low milage and don't regret it. Brakes, tires and transmission weren't effected by idling.

Reply to
Barney