Engine missing while under load

I have a '99 F-150, 4.6L, 85K miles, that has started missing when under load, mostly when climbing hills, passing, etc. The check engine light does not come on.

Changed the fuel & air filters which were due anyway, no effect. My next thought is EGR valve or plugs & wires. Am I on the right track? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Reply to
McQualude

Plugs and wires

Reply to
Dave Brower

I agree with the plugs and wires being the problem. If you change them yourself make sure you have a good assortment of extensions and a few hours on your hands because some of them are tricky to get to. Buy good plugs (Autolite or Bosch Double Platinum) and wires (Lifetime warrantee ones). If this is your first time changing plugs and wires on a 4.6 you will be glad you bought good parts because you will probably never want to change them again.

Good luck, Adrian Holt

Reply to
Adrian Holt

Buy good plugs

This is a contradiction, isn't it? You cannot use "good" and "autolite" or "bosch" in the same sentence. Why not just put in a Motorcraft plug like the fukkin thing calls for?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I can't remember, does a slight leak at the intake manifold gasket, let's say it's just weak or torn over one cylinder, miss at idle or under a load ??

Reply to
Wheeler.Dealer

How many miles? I know of a couple of vehicles (one was my GMC RV and one a friends F250) that had the "sock" on the gas intake in the fuel tank plug and caused the same symptoms. Kept getting worse until we found the problem that the RV would hardly climb any hill - every time you stepped on the throttle more than a little, it would cut out. Don't know if it is the same problem, but just a thought.

Don

Reply to
Don

The first thing I would do is put a LOCK on the hood.

Reply to
Robert

Are you suggesting the cables failed because they were tampered with?

Reply to
McQualude

No, You said it was missing. If you lock it maybe it will be there when needed. (;-)

Reply to
Robert

This is the same problem of my post dated 11/28. Hope you solve it. Look under 'Bronco Missing'. Many good suggestions provided. I'm gradually working through them all.

Reply to
Mellowed

Whooooosh, guess that one went over my head.

Reply to
McQualude

Yes, our problems are identical. My problem eases when I back off the throttle also.

My first thought was that the problem was fuel related so I replaced the fuel filter to no effect. A friend convinced me that it probably isn't the fuel pump. Most people suggest the plug wires, which I haven't changed yet (plugs & wires will probably cost ~$150, plus half a day to put them in; painful in the wake of a brake job).

I'm no mechanic either and I'm guessing that if the wires are bad and leaking spark, they can't provide enough spark to the plug when the load increases.

Reply to
McQualude

Plugs & coil packs. try cyl 3 & 4 first.

Reply to
jazzman

I already have new plugs in the '92 Bronco. But what about the 'coil packs'? Are you referring to a coil for the fuel injection? The spark in a '92 is by distributor. FYI, I have separated the spark wires for cyls 7 & 8 as recommended. I just haven't been down the mountain to test it yet.

: > Changed the fuel & air filters which were due anyway, no effect. My : > next thought is EGR valve or plugs & wires. Am I on the right track? : > Is there anything I'm not thinking of? : > -- : > McQualude : :

Reply to
Mellowed

I had the same problem with a 300 straight six in a ford truck, turned out to be valves. I was lucky with only one head to have done. If you take off the heads and have the valcves resurfaced, I also reccomend having the headers or whatever exhaust outlet you use redone. It will all fit together much nicer and give you power you didn't know you had.

Good Luck

Reply to
G0uld1961

That solution is not very attractive. Hopefully that is not the source of my problems.

Reply to
Mellowed

I was responding to a post for a '99 F-150 (see it below my response to 'McQualude'). Sorry if I caused you any confusion.

Jim

Reply to
jazzman