Engine Swap????

I have a 97 Ford E350 Super Duty, Econline, Club Wagon. Which is modified with a box and lift-gate on the back. One of the exhaust valves is bad and I have 1.5 years before another smog test is due and I won't be able to drive it unless I fix it or sell it. So one thought crossed my mind which I don't think will work out but I thought I would ask the more experienced ford people out there. Can a diesel engine be swapped into this vehicle without too much hassle? Will one mount up to the transmission that I have or do I have to change that also. How many things would have to be changed and would the more rational people out there ever attempt to do something like this?

Thanks Russ

Reply to
Uriah

Russ,

Don't you have to drop this engine out from under this vehicle? At very least you will have to replace the Complete sealed fuel system, tanks, pumps, fuel lines, Computer and wiring harness, Transmission, flywheel & clutch. I would never attempt such a money/effort pit of a project for less than 2 years worth of service...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I would have to agree. I have done engine replacments in vans before, and it is difficult enough to get the original sized engine in and out. I can't imagine the work that would be involved to do this swap. I might also suspect a suspension change of some sort to accomadate the extra weight.

Matt

Reply to
M Warren