excursion - Diesel vs. gas

I am looking at an excursion. The salesmen are more concerned about me buying something the same day than giving me good information. Where can I find some good comparisons between diesel and gas engines for this SUV? Any personal experiences?

Thanks

Reply to
Ken Walters

Diesel: Around $5,000 more expensive More noise More stink More expensive oil changes Far fewer fuel stations that carry diesel Better heavy (over 10,000 lbs) towing power Tends to get a few more miles per gallon fuel mileage, your mileage may vary...

Gas V10: Around $5,000 less then the diesel option Much qucker and more responsive than a diesel Less noise Less Stink Cheaper oil changes Gas at every service station Very effective for towing up to 10,000 lbs

There ya go...

Reply to
351CJ

Go with the diesel if you can get one. They have a huge amount of power and good fuel economy. We get ~13 - 15mpg in the city and in the low 20's on the highway. Diesel is easy to get especially if you drive a lot (currently cheaper then gasoline) on the interstates and tow considerably better then gas engines due to the low end torque. They are designed to have a 300k mile life span in fact the 7.3l Power Stroke is the international harvester T444D engine that you see in small busses and dump trucks. If you want to ask specific questions go over to the diesel stop, which is a owners group. They can answer any question you may have from simple to complex.

good luck, mark

rock_doctor

No brainer...diesel. Go here :

(forums) to get real information from actual owners of Superduties and X's and avoid "advice" from Windstar and Ranger owners...

Reply to
bomar

Q to inlaws: What mileage do you get from your V-10 A: 9 (!!!!!!) in town Q: What about 'highway' ? A: 10 (!!!) Yikes

The worst our F350 PSD gets around town is 14 and up around 19 on the highway. It also has a 40 gal tank so the range on the highway is remarkable. Diesel here is 35 cents a gallon less than gas so that helps pay down the extra diesel cost quickly @ $ 14.00 per tank. BTW, I do my own oil changes for about 25 bucks..not much more than the 'Quikee Lube" places. The Ford dealer wants 70 bucks...nawww

R.

Reply to
Rudy

Not to mention the warranty goes on to 100,000 miles on the PSD ($100.00 detuctable) after 36,000 miles. Unless it has changed since I got my 99 F350 PSD.

Reply to
What Ever!!

If you are going to make comparisons, you should compare like to like. If you compare your home done oil change to an oil change at a shop, what the hell have you compared? The fact remains that 6 dollars worth of oil and 3 dollars for a filter on the gas engine is just shy of 1/3 the cost for the consumables for your diesel engine oil change.

Diesel fuel here today is $1.73 per gallon, gasoline is $1.83 per gallon, that is only 10 cents per gallon difference. $4.00 per 40 gallon purchase. Fuel filter every 15,000 on the diesel, every 100,000 on the gas.

The more you compare them LIKE for LIKE the more years it takes to pay off on the initial cost of the diesel engine.

If you are not doing most of your miles towing a large trailer, the only advantage the diesel has is a few more miles per gallon fuel mileage and a lot of other more expensive and less comfortable disadvantages. If I were that worried about mileage I would not be driving my big guzzling vehicle gas or diesel in the first place. If you like driving with your windows down the diesel is much harder on your ears and nose.

Besides I have yet to have a diesel pickup or sport utility pulling a trailer out-pull my gas 460 towing 9000 lbs up a steep pass! The diesel damn sure can't take off quicker or go faster then the same rig with the 460 or V-10 gas engine.

If the gas engine last until the body is a rattle trap over 200,000 miles, what good is that extra 100,000 miles on the diesel engine?

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

Neither, get a Honda and stay in hotels with the money you save!

Reply to
Steve Parker

Heeee heeee, Mr Apples and oranges apparently hasnt had a real pull test vs a diesel with

Reply to
Dr. Robert B. Hoffman

No way in heck you'd out pull a Powerstroke with 9k on a hill; Even if you came close

HEE HEE? What's the matter you can't decide whether it could be done or not? Well you couldn't do it but if you did you would use a lot of gas. Sheese

Tell Ya what, I've pulled enough steep western passes with my rig, I know what it will do and how many smoke choking over rated diesels (all three brands) I've walked away from on these passes, as they slowly smoke & clunk their way up the pass. Bring your clunking, stinking Powerstroke and your

9000 lb trailer out west and I'll show you how a hot running gas guzzling clean quite 460 will put your Powerstroke to shame with or without a load...

Apparently you've never really had a pull test.

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

This is just idiotic rambling....

Reply to
bomar

- max torque does not matter. His 460 may very well have more HP than a powerstroke in which case it will a pull the load up the hill faster. OTOH, he may have to be running at 5000 rpm's to do it. However, if the hill was 20,000 miles long, the 460 would be broken and the powerstroke wouldn't even be broken in!

-rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

EXACTLY!!!

I couldn't have stated it better myself.

Diesels do have their advantages, I myself am considering one for my next truck. But they do have plenty of disadvantages too.

Some of you "diesel guys" need to pull your heads out of your asses! The diesel only truly "shines" (blatantly outperforms) a big gas engine in a very narrow niche of applications. That is either full time heavy (OVER

10,000 POUNDS) load towing, or very hard high (OVER 250,000 MILE) fleet type use. Even then you still have to put up with the EXTRA noise, smell, location of diesel dealers, and higher maintenance cost.

The longevity question really only comes into play if you intend to keep your truck once the body has become a rattle trap. I have driven two 460 Ford trucks with a fair amount of 9,000 pound towing to 240,000 miles and

196,000 miles. The trucks were in overall worse shape (rattling, window seals, squeaks, etc) than the engines when I sold them still running strong...

Some day a diesel might be as refined, clean, quiet, snappy, responsive, quick and powerful as the proven 460, or the "replacement" V-10 but not today.

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

Yea? Well ramble off some facts! Or did your mouth outrun the truth yet again?

OH That's RIGHT! You don't have any facts that support you ignorant bullheaded narrow minded position!

All of your misinformed ideas don't change the facts...

You have the right to remain IGNORANT! Carry On!

powerstroke

Reply to
Apples & Oranges

Reply to
bomar

[snip]

You said it!

"Pulling a load up a hill at high speed is simply a matter of horsepower - max torque does not matter."

Another guy who slept through physics class.

"His 460 may very well have more HP than a powerstroke in which case it will a pull the load up the hill faster."

Then you could get a formula racer -- lots of horses, very little torque -- and pull at

150 mph, right? LOL! =`:^D

-- frosty

Reply to
frosty

Says another idiot.

Like it or not, diesels are not the "cure all" for all 3/4 - 1 ton truck owners.

Thanks, I'll keep my gasser.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Clearly you *failed* physics. I am a mechanical engineer with a ton of physics under my belt. Yes a 900hp formula one car will pull a load up a hill much faster than a 300hp diesel - assuming it had a close enough ratio trans to keep it on the boil. However, the engine would't last very long in the process. Horsepower is defined a force*velocity. Torque is essentially just a force. The force required to pull a trailer up a hill is constant (neglecting air resistance and friction) wheather you are going 50mph or 100mph. It is the velocity portion of the equation that requires the HP. I can take a model airplane motor and gear it down to put out 1000ft-lbs of torque and it will pull the trailer up the hill

- albeit very slowly. It is the HP that determines the speed at which the force can be applied- like it or not!

As another example, you could take a 150hp diesel and a 150hp motorcycle engine, put a CVT behind them (continuously variable transmission) and you could not tell the difference between the two in any situation! (as long as you couldn't hear it!) Again, the motorcycle engine wouldn't last very long.

The advantages of diesels are their longevity, fuel economy and their very FLAT torque curve which makes pulling loads easier.

Rob Munach, PE Excel Engineering

Reply to
Rob Munach

If youre going to tow allot Diesel, if youre not going to tow much Gas

Reply to
fred

Rob Munach wrote:

Sure, and Aristotle could move a planet with a long enough lever, but pulling "very slowly" isn't what this thread is about. (BTW, my 'formula' reference was misguided, as comparing 900hp to 300hp is meaningless. I just couldn't come up with a PC term for "rice racer.")

You're right: it's horsepower that's doing the work; torque is just applying a force. But in the context of the original thread, it seemed the poster thought that a high-horsepower, low-torque engine was better for pulling heavy loads. As in, "Your PSD only makes 250 horses; my Acura has 300, so I can out pull you!" which is a laughable proposition. Horsepower is NOT a substitute for torque. Given two motors with equal hp rating, expect the one with more torque to pull better.

Perfect example to illustrate my point, thanks. Yes, you can increase torque that way, but only at the expense of additional RPM. You can't get something for nothing!

Say my diesel generates 440 pound feet of torque while turning 1800 rpm. This works out to 150 horsepower, and moves my F250 down the road at 60 miles an hour.

Your hypothetical motorcycle engine generates a fraction of that torque. Let's pick a number, say, one fifth. So, you gear it down five times, and, by mechanical advantage, multiply your 88 pound feet to 440. You also make the same 150 hp, but to do so, you must turn five times as fast:

9,000 rpm.

Let's put you in a similar 7,000 pound truck powered by the motorcycle motor. Same horsepower, same load, same 60 mph. Now, we come to a hill. Since my diesel, at 1800 rpm, is just starting to come into its torque curve, when I press on the go pedal, I speed up. Your engine, however, is on the down slope of its torque curve, and is spinning as fast as it can. Which truck slows down, and which truck pulls ahead?

Or, suppose we stay on the flat, and drag race. When I redline the PSD at

3300 rpm, going 110 miles an hour, am I going to see you smiling at me through my side window, even with me, while turning 16,500 rpm?

I would say there are at least two situations in which you _can_ tell the difference between these two 150 hp motors. Back to the original quote:

If the gasser has less torque, it's creating more horses by virtue of lower gearing and higher RPM. The truck won't pull faster if the engine can't spin any faster.

And, MORE torque.

-- frosty

Reply to
frosty