Exhaust system leather strap?

I bought a 1995 Ford Ranger about a year and a half ago. The exhaust system had a rust hole in it so the dealer had the muffler, exhaust piping and (I think) the catalytic converter replaced. Since then, I can sometimes hear rattling under the truck while driving down the road and a loud rattling hum when I back up.

I am new to this DIY stuff and while I was under the truck two weeks ago replacing the fuel filter, I noticed that there is a leather strap about half way down the exhaust piping that has been severed. I think it may have been cut when the new exhaust system was installed and not replaced. Could this be the source of the sounds I am hearing and what would be a good remedy? I was thinking about finding some leather straps and using them to support the middle section of the exhaust. I am thinking they chose leather to avoid corrosion? Will direct contact with the exhaust pipe cause them to burn?

Thanks!

Matt Asheville, North Carolina

Reply to
NCMattJ

Are you sure that strap is not rubber? Most such straps are rubber, not leather.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

This is true, most are a rubber and cloth strap. But, many moons ago when I got laid off from work, I had a hanger strap break, and I didn't want to waste money on a new one. I cut an old leather belt and used a couple of small bolts and washers to fix the hanger. I had the car for 6 more years and never bothered to change it, and it never broke. It held up to all those Michigan winters and salt. Maybe Matt's is a similar fix.

To answer your question, Matt, yes, it's possible that's where the noise is coming from. Your local auto parts store will have the correct replacement for it (unless you want to try my fix LOL). It'll involve a hanger and a muffler clamp.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom