Expedition towing capacity

Since I shut down my business back in October, I've been thinking serioulsy about selling my '02 SuperDuty and getting an Expedition..

The one thing stopping me is towing capacity. I haul toys to the desert on a utility trailer most trips (about 4,500 lbs total load with a 900lb trailer weight) but occasionally haul a Weekend Warrior toy hauler. (about 8,500 lbs)

Will an Expedition handle that load? I'm not looking to buy new, probably something in the '02-04 range..

They don't make those in a diesel, do they??

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The 'toy hauler' is the problem. 8500 lbs is a bit much. An Excursion will work and it is available in Diesel. No diesel for the Expedition.

Reply to
Mellowed

Kevin,

Ford puts out a really nice towing guide that includes the Expedition. The 2004 Expedition can tow between 5,000 and 8,650 lb, depending on configuration. Looks like you'll be bumping up against the top range, even with the ideally configured model.

I have links to the other years as well here:

Charlie

Changin' Gears A web site about the recreational vehicle (RV) lifestyle

Charles Kerekes

Hey Charlie, Good data. I didn't realize that the Expedition tow rating was so high. With that rating and the infrequent towing of the 8500 lb trailer, the Expedition would be the preferred choice.

Reply to
Mellowed

Kevin, based on Charlie's data I would also choose the Expedition for your application.

Reply to
Mellowed

Guys,

Just be aware that the highest tow rating requires the 5.4L engine and the heavy duty tow package. I just looked again and the 4x2 model has a rating of 8,950 lbs.

Charlie

Changin' Gears A web site about the recreational vehicle (RV) lifestyle

Charles Kerekes

Not interested in the Excursion. Nice rigs and plenty of capacity, but I don't need another behemoth to pilot. Expedition will fit me and the family (and all our crap) just fine...

maybe I need do downsize the toy hauler too. heheh

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Cool. I'll do some diggin'. My initial post was kind of a knee-jerk interrogative to see if it was even worth the effort to start doing some research.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Definitely getting the bigger engine and tow package (if I can find one in 4WD) when I go shopping. Who knows? Maybe a supercharger, bigger brakes, custom springs... hehehe

Reply to
invalid unparseable