F-150 very cold weather start

My new 2003 F-150 4x4 sport is currently suffering the northeast cold wave. In the morning when I start it (after it sits outside all night with no block heater) there is a very loud high-pitch squeal coming from under the hood. It only lasts for about 5 seconds, but is quite disturbing.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Doogie

Think its the power steering pump alot of fords do this including mine.

Reply to
Rob

when it gets down low mine makes noises that would wake the dead, every vehicle I have ever had do this when it gets down below 0 f.

l8r, Jeff

Reply to
Hawk

These trucks all have serpentine belts with an automatic tensioner. How do you propose they tighten them? Yell at them and throw things?

Reply to
bomar

Probably normal unless the squeal lasts longer... My F150 2000 makes valve clicking noises for a few seconds when its really cold unless I plug in the block heater. Anyone else experience the same?

Reply to
R&D

I never get valve noise on real cold startups, but I use a full synthetic, so the oil stays nice and thin when it's cold out. I have been using full synthetic in vehicles for 3 years now, it definately helps in the cold starts, noticeable difference when it is rolling over cold.

Looking like it is going to be another one of the cold mornings tomorrow, looking at -40 or better with the windchill I hear!

Reply to
Hawk