F-250 won't start

I have a 2001 F250 SD, with gas V8, 5 speed stick, 4x4. It has 42,273 miles. Truck has not been modified in any way. Totally OEM stock. I bought it new, it's a 1 owner truck.

I experienced a problem today.

Truck hadn't been started for maybe 3 days. Temp was abt. 55. It started normally, and as I was getting settled in, doing seat belt, etc......it just died. Suddenly. Didn't run rough or anything, just died like key had been turned off. I tried to re-start it. Starter turned engine VERY strongly...but engine would not start. It would not sputter or fart or anything. But the new battery installed in August sure would spin the engine. OK......so I wiggle gear-shift lever, pump the clutch, wiggle the ignition key, turn the ignition key to its various positions. Still would only spin engine, but no start. So I just sit there for a couple minutes....and repeat the above procedure. Same results. I did this routine 4-5 times over the period of maybe

10-12 minutes. I never exited truck, never lifted hood. Suddenly, for no reason that was obvious, it started just like normal, and quickly settled into it's normal smooth idle. I drove to the store, ran various other errands. No problem, all seemed normal.

So now it seems that I have a $20,000 vehicle that can at any point leave me or my wife stranded. I must classify it as an unreliable and unpredictable truck at this point. I buy all my trucks _NEW_ so hopefully I don't ever have an unpredictable, unreliable truck to deal with. Yes.....I am unhappy.

Has anyone here ever experienced anything similar? Any comments or suggestions?

Thank you.... Lee Carkenord Denver Co.

Reply to
carkenord

There is not such thing as a 100% reliable vehicle (new or used). You probably have one of the following that is intermittent: the computer, the spark module or the coil but it might be something as simple (thought not simple to change) as the ignition switch. I never buy new. My current F-250 is a 1983 that I bought about 4 years ago that had around 130,000 miles on it. It now has 175,000 miles on it and makes a yearly trip from AZ to MN. I feel that it is just as reliable as any new truck would be.

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Reply to
user

Guess what! My 2002 F150 does exactly the same thing and no one can fix it. It will happen about every 3 or 4 months and between times run absolutely perfect.

Reply to
Ole

When yours does it, what do you have to do to get it started and running?

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

Reply to
Chuck

I just let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour and it starts right up and will run great for months

Reply to
Ole

Same symptoms on 2 other Ford vehicles - a '99 Explorer 4.0 (three times), and a '00 Ranger 3.0. All have been cured by cleaning or replacing the IAC valve. Next time this happens, try flooring the gas pedal and see if it starts. If it will start, but stalls as soon as you let off the gas, the IAC is suspect. There was no code or check engine light.

Reply to
gw

I had that happen on my 03 dodge cummins. I had a security chip in the ignition key. Had to get a new key.

It would happen couple times a month. Turn key on, truck start and run for 5 seconds. Then it quit. Try again and it would turn over but not start. Wait for a minute and everything is back to normal.

By waiting the security whatever it's called resets itself

Take it to the dealership and have them check out. Yonzie

o >> I have a 2001 F250 SD, with gas V8, 5 speed stick, 4x4. It has 42,273

Reply to
Dale Yonz

If I recall they told me to leave the key turned on (truck not running) for an half hour or so. This is suppose to reset the security system. Dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

The truck finally quite running altogether.

Diagnosed as a bad fuel pump. I had the pump replaced, and so far, it's running normal, tho it's not been driven many miles with the new pump.

I bought this truck new in 2000, and so far, in 42,000 miles, it's left me stranded 3 times.

Correct.........I am not happy. I can no longer trust this vehicle. It could quite at any time, anywhere. Would it be appropriate to now label it "a POS"......? Yes it would.

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
carkenord

I have a 1999 F250, 59,000 MILES, 5.4L Triton V8 with similar problems. I changed the fuel filter which didn't help, then had it diagnosed as a bad fuel pump. $300.00 later and a new fuel pump and I still have the same problem! Now they as saying it could be the ECM. It may have been a coincidence that the fuel pump went bad at the same time as the ECM, but it's hard to believe...we'll see.

Reply to
BD

Okay, I'll give ya $100 bucks cash for it today!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, I am not a mechanic, so I can only guess.

It would seem you are not getting any fuel to the cylinders. If you were and it was not lighting off, I would think you should smell fuel at the exhaust. It may have run for a couple of minutes because fuel was available for a while, but was not being replenished.

Overall, I would have to think something intermittent, like your problem, could be caused by moisture getting into some component. Since there might be several possibilities, I would try to think of something I could install on the truck, at least temporarily, to check out different systems. Maybe a pressure gauge for the fuel rail. Maybe one of the scanners that work while you drive.

Getting it to run after several attempts at starting, may be allowing a switch or component or connector to dry out either from heat, or the electrical current going through it. If it always happens at about the same outside air temperature, maybe there is some type of engine control that is supposed to control during certain starting situations and it is malfunctioning. Try to think of things ahead of time, so the next time it occurs, you can at least check one system or component.

During your pre-takeoff checklist, do you remember the shutdown being associated with anything you did at the exact same time? I don't think buckling a seat belt would cause it, but there is an electrical connection.

Of course, you said you have a fairly new battery. Did the problem ever occur with the older battery? Maybe something in the way it was installed has allowed for a poor connection.

Clark