F-450 Diesel problem.

I've got this F-450, 4 wheel drive, stick shift with a small (ha) problem.

From a cold start, (parked overnite) it's a little hard to start but runs normal until I get it 4 to 5 miles down the road (almost always the same spot), then the engine stalls for no apparent reason.

Wait a couple of minutes, do some hard cranking, and it will re-start like nothing's wrong and run all day without a hitch. Park it for an hour and it'll start right up and run normal, no problem.

Park it all day, then try to go home, the same problem comes up. It seems this problem only happens from a cold start. I'm worried this thing is going to strand me somewhere, and with ton of my tools in the back, I sure wouldn't want to leave it anywhere.

I've checked a few of the basic things (like the air filter and glow plugs) but I have to admit this prob. has me a little perplexed. Checked all of the electrical connections too.

I'd go to the dealer mechanic, but only as a last resort. His bills are always big.

Anybody have any idea what's wrong? Any help you guys can give would be great.

Reply to
KAB814

bomar

cam sensor, eh ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The simple solution is to avoid the same area where it stalls each time. You know, it's those damned aliens again. I wish they would all just go back to whatever planet they came from.

Reply to
Hymie

Cat is out of the bag.....

Reply to
bomar

yeah

I see a lot of 'Overdrive Light Flashing' complaints and about 50% of the time its the CS

TranSurgeon

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bomar) wrote;

Reply to
KAB814

Had a similar problem - check the batteries. Susan Ravan

Reply to
Susan Ravan

Reply to
Susan Ravan

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Tom

Reply to
Tom Porter

I just had a similar problem. It got worse as time went by. It turned out to be a defective cam sensor - a device that checks to see if the cam is still rotating. The service center to me that "It is designed to prevent damage to the engine in case of a catistrophic failure of the cam or cam drive systems." Small part ($25 CAD), big bill ($250 CAD)!!!

Reply to
Peter

CPS is $89 from the local International dealer. {About $140 from Ford)

1/2 for an old fart recovering from heart surgery to install it. It is located next to waterpump on passenger side. Quick disconnect wire, use 10MM socket to remove 1 screw, wipe dirt from eyes, reverse procedure to install.

Regards, Pete Arnold

1987 300SDL 218 Kmi on Delvac1 1995 F250 PSD 161 Kmi on Rotella 2002 PT Cruizer 56 Kmi on Jiffy Lube {Wife's car} 1954 Nash Metro TMU, Hanger Queen >
Reply to
Peter T. Arnold