F-800 dry weight

Was wondering what the unladen curb weight of an F-800 equipped with a utility body and a 38ft bucket. It is diesel (7.8 I think) with automatic. I know that the GVW is 33k, but need to know what it would be reasonable to license it for, since I am not going to be loading it up with seveal tons of cable, etc. thanks

Reply to
Matthew Warren

Take it to a farmers grain mill and weigh it. My guess is around 18 to

20 k though. Not sure how it is in your state but in mine you license it to maximum weight in use. In your case it would be 33k but I would do 35k to give you some leaway because it is cheaper than a over weight ticket.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

Well, the point is that I can license it for whatever it actually weighs while in use, which for me will neer be 33k. It has the capacity for over

10k in reel capacity alone, and I won't be toting reels of wire around with me. I am considering the purchase, but it isn't registered now, so scaling it isn't an option. thanks

Reply to
Matthew Warren

TheSnoMan snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com wrote in news:AKT0f.9687$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

no need to over lisence something that will not be loaded any more than it already is. weight it and know for sure. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

In my state, if they happen to weigh you and you are over your registration limit, they will sock it to you with a fine so I always buy more than you need by a few K. You may never get stopped but it only takes one bad day.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

Got caught in Missouri many years ago. Cost $1.00 a pound then. Lucky for me I was only 3,700 pounds over:(

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Ouch!!!

Reply to
TheSnoMan

If it's driveable; get a "trip permit", as truckers do when they are driving thru a state where they don't have a regular licence to operate. It might be different in your state but WA also allows you to drive or tow a currently unlicenced/unregistered vehicle for a short time with a permit and not very expensive.

That would get you to a scale.

F800 set up for wire reels? Is it just a "hauler"(racks for reels only) or does it have all the drives and tensioners set up for pulling wire? I don't know what your plans are; but if it's a puller you could shed some serious weight by removing the pulling gear. If it has a separate engine setup for hydraulics; it's definitely a puller; although some did use a PTO system.

Reply to
nobody <"" spam.info

It is equipped with a bucket and the gear for pulling, but the hydraulics are pto... I guess it's a pto, it runs off the front of the engine, not a trans pto. Thanks for the trip permit info, I'll check into that.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Warren

Sounds like a belt-drive "pto" (it's not really a pto as most folks used to define it). If you have plans on using the bucket; you'll need it.

I'd be leery of the bucket tho. Those usually cost more than the base truck as new; they usually get transferred to the replacement truck if in good shape. By the time they show up "used"; they are pretty well shot. If it's an insulated boom; it probably won't pass a dielectric test (if that's the case; it still may work OK for non-electrical stuff like tree-trimming and such; just stay the hell away from powerlines!).

Reply to
nobody <"" spam.info

Thanks for the info. Sounds like ou're familiar with the trucks, any idea what kind of fuel mileage one should expect?

Thanks aga>> It is equipped with a bucket and the gear for pulling, but the hydraulics

Reply to
Matthew Warren

Couldn't really say what the mileage is/was; never had to pay for it. It would be hard to judge anyway as the bucket trucks I've dealt with spend far more time running the PTO for the boom than road time. That's actually a very low fuel use situation; I'd rough guess the boom uses about 10-20 horsepower to run it.

Reply to
nobody <"" spam.info