F100 mods help

1969 model is in fair condition. Heavy to drive. Heavy on fuel. ( highoctane unleaded ). Someone put a 351 cleveland v8 in it. I like this truckbut the steering is bugging me. It comes out too far. I am 6ft tall. I havelong arms. Any ideas on how I can put the steering wheel closer to the dash.Also looking for any ideas on fuel saving. This setup has a carter twinthroat carburetta. Takeoff can be a bit scary because this model has nopower steering or power brakes. Good thing I have a light foot. Anyone putbrake power booster on there truck. How easy is it to do?
cheers Mike

Reply to
mike

jor

||My 1969 model is in fair condition. Heavy to drive. Heavy on fuel. ( high||octane unleaded ). Someone put a 351 cleveland v8 in it. I like this truck||but the steering is bugging me. It comes out too far. I am 6ft tall. I have||long arms. Any ideas on how I can put the steering wheel closer to the dash. Aftermarket flat-spoke wheel? Other than that it's a custom. If you really like the truck and plan to keep it, you might check the yellow pages for a mobility-impaired vehicle builder. Those guys are great innovators at this sort of thing.

||Also looking for any ideas on fuel saving. This setup has a carter twin ||throat carburetta.

Get a 4-barrel intake and put a 4300-series Motorcraft/Autolite carb on it.

Takeoff can be a bit scary because this model has no ||power steering or power brakes. Good thing I have a light foot. Anyone put ||brake power booster on there truck. How easy is it to do?

Power Brake add-on kits were very common in the 1970's. Usually you could unbolt the Master cylinder from the firewall, insert booster between the two, and hook up the vacuum source. Some installations required different brake lines and pushrods. Check with Southwest Wheel. Worst case is you'd buy a reman booster with MC and just install it. It's pretty simple stuff.

Power steering setup can be sourced at any of the places that sell parts for these trucks. I'm sure they offer a kit.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B