F150 2wd to 4x4

I have found an '88 F150 Ext. Cab with really low mileage and is still in good condition. Not really what I was looking for the the mileage and price caused me to have a second look.

It has a 5.0L V8 with a 5spd but is 2wd. I was really looking for a 4x4 but again the price and mileage are really low.

I have done some looking around on converting a 2wd to 4x4 and now have exactly enough information to be dangerous (as well as waste alot of time and money). I need some help clarifying a few things before I decide to start this project but not much time before someone else buys the truck out from under me.

I figure the easiest way to do the conversion is to get a front suspension (axle, radius arms, springs/socks, hopefully brakes too) from an '88 to '90 F150 4x4 with the same gear ratio as the 2wd rear-end and install it on my 2wd.

The engine and transmission are good so I thought about a divorce mounted transfer case. I see that Dana 24 or 205 are very popular. I see some are available in 2wd/4wd (no hi-low), 2wd hi/4wd hi-low, and

2wd hi-low/4wd hi-low. There is also the question of manual or electric. I am looking for recommendations on which way to go. I am trying to make the conversion as easy as possible (not that it is going to be easy). The front differential for the Ford F150 is on the driver side (I think) so I need to make sure that the output for the front shaft is on the driver side too. I can fabricate the drive shafts to length.

Any recommendations are welcome as well as year/model of donor parts. My work schedule doesn't permit wandering through wrecker's yards. Most sourcing will need to be done on the 'net without seeing the part until it arrives.

Thanks.

Reply to
mills

My recommendation is buy a 4X4 and forget trying to changing it over. You will be money ahead.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al - If I could find a 4x4 that was in this good a condition with as low mileage I would buy it. Besides, what about the challange, the ability to show it to your buddies and say "look at what I did".

Now, back to the topic, what about suggestions for parts/donors?

Thanks

Reply to
mills

What he is trying to tell you that it is not cost effective unless you can buy a complete simular year truck to strip the parts of as needed to do it. (a wrecked one the drive trin is good in) It is a pretty big and nasty job to do on that style truck. I would look for a beater

4x4 to fix up and then say "look what I have done"

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I was coming from the fact that he would have to change so much stuff. The transmission will have to be swapped out or converted to fit a transfer case. The cross member is wrong, all the front suspension and so on. If he could find an exact donor truck, he would be better off swapping the cab and bed.

Just look for a 4X4 and save a bunch of time and money.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al,

I appreciate your warnings but if you read my original message, I realize I need to swap the entire front suspension and I am not going to change the tranny.

I asked about a divorced transfer case. This would accept a short drive shaft from the existing tranny. I just wanted to know which one was better and what model trucks I could salvage one from.

Reply to
mills

Somehow, I do not think you are really listening hear. You have to consider the truck frame too. Mid 70's and earlier Ford P/U had divored Tcases and sturdier frames too. I understand what you are trying to do but what we are trying to say is the best solution here is to look for a older 4x4 with a divorced Tcase to begin with and restore it to new and then you can have your cake and eat it too and have a truck that will catch attention too because there are few of them around today and it will not be something pieced together rather something reborn in its original and long forgotten form. If you stay with a newer truck, you are best to stay with a none divorced setup to somewhat simplify the mod by being able to use some stock parts.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It sounds like a case of "my mind is made up" and I want validation. Might not agree with Sno all the time, but this time he's totally right, from the cost and ease of do stand point. The poster makes it sound like a nut and bolt job to change the front suspension, and I dont believe it is. Its going to be a set the truck on a jig of some sort and a bunch of measuring and drilling, and you better bee damn good at it becuae 1/4" off and you'll never get the front end aligned, and I believe the front cross memebr was totally different between the 4x2 and 4x4 models. The transfer case is the least of the issues, I am sure advanced adaptors would have something that works as far as mating tranny to transfer, maybe even mounts. Its the front diff that is going to be the challange. If he has plans on taking the rig up in the air, then maybe a solid axle set up is the way to go with leaf springs. Another option would be to buy a rolling frame from a salvage yard, and move cab and drive train to that.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Sounds like your mind is made up. The divorced transfer cases are sometimes one speed. That's right, you'll have 2 H and 4 H only. Make sure you get a two speed case. Plus you'll need a lot of room to mount it and a straight shot to the front differential.

Have fun,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Truer words were never spoken. With the information at hand, all that is left is to buy a few pieces, bolt'em together and drive off.

Good advice from knowledgeable people is what you are receiving. Pay attention. Consider that old truism; A fool and his money are soon parted?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt